Fifty-four

George and I apparated back to my place once the night ended.

He was staying over and then sometime tomorrow, we were picking up our children at his parents house last.

I was a bit nervous to meet his parents again after what happened on George's birthday.

I didn't meet them again when George dropped the kids off, because he went alone while I got some work done.

But we were picking them up together.

"What did she say to you earlier?" George asked once we landed in front of the front door on the inside of my flat.

"Angelina?" I asked and reached down to undo the strap on my high heels that closed around my ankle.

I placed a hand against the wall to keep my balance, managing to pull off both of my heels.

George didn't answer. He pushed his hands into the pockets of his lilac trousers, looking at me with his head tilted slightly to the side.

I let out a sigh and stood up, feeling relieved from my feet being free from the heels.

"Uh— she tried to attack me on my family like your sister did." I said. "But it's fine. The only opinion that matters to me is yours... and Inez... Dove too."

I let out a small chuckle.

"She didn't say anything else?"

"Well, she told me why she left." I said. "Which is none of my business at all but she said that she didn't feel like a mum back then. She told me she felt trapped and I simply told her that you don't get to choose when you want to step up and act like a parent."

George nodded slowly, taking a step closer to me.

"Thank you for standing up for them." He said. "You have no idea how much that means for me."

I smiled.

"I do, actually." I said. "I see how much you care for Elsie and Leah. Remember when you took care of Elsie after those older students shoved her around? You didn't know she was mine but you took care of another persons child..."

"Who wouldn't do that? She was crying. She was being bullied."

"A lot of people wouldn't do that." I told him. "A lot of people are scared to get mingled in things that doesn't concern them."

"A lot of people are pricks." He raised his eyebrows. "But I mean it... I'm grateful for you standing up for Fred and Roxi like that."

I shrugged.

"I love them." I told him with a smile. "You know how you think Fred hates you?"

George nodded slightly.

"He doesn't." I said. "He just has this mindset that he's disappointed you in some way. He thinks you hate him because he reminds you of Angelina."

His eyebrows fell into a frown as he slowly folded his arms over his chest.

"He said that?"

"I helped him with his homework last week and I asked him about school and he kept mentioning how he just wanted you to be proud of him and when I told him you are proud of him, he went quiet and shook his head. He then proceeded to say that he wanted to live with his mum so that you didn't have to see her in him every day."

George sighed and brought a hand up to his face, closing his eyes. He punched the bridge of his nose, then looked at me again while he ran a hand to the nape of his neck.