Seventy-three

Malcolm was being sent to a mental facility for a while to get help regarding therapy and his suicidal thoughts.

I took his wand from him so that he couldn't just apparate out of there, and after that long night at the hospital, I went back to George's place, feeling absolutely drained of energy.

When I entered the shop, George was there, cleaning up a bit, but when he saw me, he stopped. He didn't say anything. He saw the state I was in and then hurried over and brought me into a hug, his arms closing tightly around my body.

"He's going to spend some time at a mental hospital." I whispered against the material of George's shirt. "Dunno how long for... until they think he's no longer at a risk for suicide."

"I'm sorry." he said softly, brushing a hand over my hair. "But it's for the best, yeah? He needs help."

"He's a fucking arsehole." I cursed and pulled away. "I should've left him to die."

"Well..."

"How am I supposed to walk up there and tell Elsie and Leah that their father has gone away and I have no idea when they'll see him again? And how about the trial against Jeremy? I can't do that all alone! I mean, I know I'm not alone. I have you, but it's his brother and– fuck."

I ran both of my hands through my hair, then looked past him to where a bucket and a mop stood. He had been in the middle of washing the floor.

"Do you need help with that?" I asked, nodding towards it, and he turned to look over his shoulder before looking at me again.

"You just got back from the hospital because of your ex. You do not need to help with anything right now. Let's get you upstairs to bed."

"–but the girls..."

"They are sound asleep." he told me. "I did some transfiguration and made sure they each had a bed in the kids' bedroom, and in the morning, you'll take a day off of work. I've already discussed it with Bill. I'll take the kids to school and you'll sleep in and just use the day to relax, yeah?"

"George–" I sighed. "...you don't have to do all of this. I can't afford to–"

"Bill will write it in as a sick day. You'll still be getting paid for it."

I didn't say anything else. I rubbed my eyes, feeling how tired I was from spending so long at the hospital. I didn't even have the slighest idea of what time it was. I reached forward and grabbed George's wrist, looking at the time.

02:48

"Why are you cleaning the shop in the middle of the night?" I asked and looked up at him. "You shouldn't be overworking yourself, George. You've worked all day so you should be asleep right now."

"As if I was just going to go to sleep, knowing you were at the hospital. I was worried." he said and grabbed my hand. "C'mon, Dia. You look like you haven't slept for a hundred years."

"Is that an insult?" I asked as he led the way up the staircase, but George looked back at me and offered a smile of comfort which melted my heart.

"Never. You still look gorgeous even when you're exhausted."

"Cute." I yawned, covering my mouth with my free hand. George opened the door to the flat and let go of my hand to close it again after we both entered.

"Have you had anything to eat?" he asked while I pushed off my shoes and placed them neatly because I knew he hated a mess, and so did I.

"Inez and I ate something at the cafeteria." I said, making my way towards the room. "I ate a sandwich. I didn't want to eat but Inez forced me to. It was a mess."

George chuckled.

"Well, good think you didn't starve." he said, following me into the room. I sat down on the edge of the bed, rubbing my hands all over my face before laying down, closing my eyes.

I could feel George walk between my legs, his fingers finding the button of my trousers to help me get out of them.

"He wanted me to watch."

"Pardon?" he asked and I opened my eyes to look at him, seeing him watch me with a cocked eyebrow. "Wanted you to watch what?"

"Him die." I breathed. "He watched me leave so he wanted me to watch him leave."

I lifted my hips to allow George to pull my trousers off, folding them before placing them next to me.

"He's sick." I said. "More than I first realised. Who wishes that upon another person? Upon your ex-wife who gave birth to your fucking children?"

George grabbed my hands and pulled me up to sit, helping me out of my shirt.

"He took so many pills." I said. "And when I called for an ambulance, he was outside of the bathroom door, knocking and screaming and it felt like being back to when I used to hide in there with my phone so I could call Inez to help because I was terrified that he was going to kill me once he got to me."

George took my face in his, forcing me to look up at him.

"You are a wonderful person, you know that? He's hurt you so much but you still saved his life."

"He's the girls dad."

"Exactly." George smiled weakly and leaned down to press a kiss to my lips. "You've been through shit tonight and you need sleep, yeah? All you need to worry about right now is getting your brain charged for tomorrow and then we can talk all you want about what happened tonight, how does that sound?"

I nodded.

"I'll get you a glass of water." he said softly, kissing me again before he left the bedroom. I sighed and looked at the bed which he had already made for it to be ready for when I got home.

I grabbed my clothes and walked over to place it neatly on the dresser, then took off my bra and put it on top before crawling into bed and under the duvet, getting myself comfortable.

George returned and placed the glass of water on the nightstand while sitting down on the edge of the bed, brushing his fingers into my hair.

"I've cleared some space for you in the dresser." he said. "You've already got a lot of clothes here so I've made you some room. I hope you don't mind."

"I don't." I assured him, closing my eyes. "I know you have to get back to cleaning up the shop, but can you please cuddle me?"

"Of course." he said as he stood up. "Drink some water, love. I'll just go check on the children really quick."

I nodded and as he left the room, I pulled myself up to sit, grabbing the glass of water. I downed the whole thing, not having realised how thirty I had been. I hadn't had much to drink, only a cup of tea along with the food we ate at the hospital.

I put the now empty glass back down and got comfortable again, lying on my back as I stared on the ceiling. I kept just staring up until I heard the door to the room close, then I put my attention to George who entered.

"They're all still very much asleep." he told me, walking around the bed before climbing in, fully dressed, pressing a kiss to my shoulder.

I turned my head to face him, brushing my nose against his before closing my eyes and turning onto my side, feeling George hug me close to his chest.

"If I'm not here when you wake up, I'm either dropping off the kids or working in the shop, yeah?" he asked to make sure, and I nodded.

"I love you."