Forty-two

During dinner, George's hand rested against my thigh, his fingers tapping against my skin.

His family asked questions regarding me, then regarding our relationship and we answered them. They were all so nice and welcoming.

Well, apart from George's sister.

She seemed to have something against me but I didn't know why.

I had a slight idea.

I'm a lot younger than George. I was so scared that they'd hate me for it, and now his sister seems to dislike that about me.

"What's your family life like, Dahlia?" Molly asked. "Are you close to your parents?"

Oh...

George gave my thigh a squeeze in reassurance as he knew about my family situation.

"I mean... not particularly—"

"She grew up in a Death Eaters home." Ginny cut me off. "She's the younger sister of Nadine Willows. Fred's girlfriend."

All eyes landed on me.

"Ginny." George said through gritted teeth, sending her a warning look.

"You're Nadine's sister?" Arthur asked, and I nodded slightly.

I looked at George.

Why hadn't he told them that?

"How is dear dad?" Ginny looked at me and folded her arms over her chest as she leaned back in her chair.

I gulped, but tried to stay calm even though I was growing uncomfortable and with how she spoke to me.

"I dunno." I shrugged. "I haven't seen him since I was twelve. He's probably still in Azkaban."

"You were twelve when the war ended." She nodded. "And how old was George then? Twenty?"

Oh god...

"Is that just your type?" She asked. "Older guys? Because I once read a story in a newspaper about a student giving birth at Hogwarts... and I'm pretty sure that was you while the baby daddy was years older. I mean... you basically got groomed. He was twenty when he got you pregnant and you were only seventeen, weren't you?"

"Ginevra." Molly warned while I put my hands in my lap, not knowing what to say.

"Did you know that our brother was killed?" Ginny asked. "He was killed by a death eater during the battle and where were you at the time? Probably at home while your family fought on Voldemort's side!"

"Ginny!" George raised his voice. "Don't you dare blame her for Fred. She was twelve years old."

"And you were twenty!" Ginny argued back. "Don't you think it's a bit odd?!"

"But now I'm thirty-four and Dia turns twenty-seven. You don't have to accept it but you are going to respect her. Don't treat her like you treated Nadine back then."

"Are you fucking serious?" Ginny laughed, immediately being scolded by Molly, but Ginny ignored it. "George, she was raised by death eaters. How do you expect her to have turned out? Her sister is the reason Fred died and she'll be the reason—"

"That's enough!" George stood up and held out his hand towards me. "We're leaving."

I hesitated but stood up and grabbed his hand. The room had gone quiet and no one said anything as we walked to the door.

George handed me my jacket before grabbing his own and then we left.

"George—"

"I'm so sorry she's treating you like that." He cut me off and grabbed my hand before he apparated the both of us to my flat.