Eighty-five

I hurried over to George.

"How is this possible?" He asked, looking straight at Nadine.

"Oh fuck." Nadine cursed. "I'm sorry... I had to act like I was dead. Otherwise I would never get away."

"George, can we please go back?" I whispered. "I don't want to be here right now."

He looked at me, took my hand but didn't move. He looked at Nadine again.

"I'm sorry." I heard her say.

"What about Fred?" George asked. "Is he..."

"He did die." Nadine said and I looked up at George to see him gulp while nodding. "How do you two know each other?"

"That's what you're worried about right now?" I laughed and turned to look at her. "How George and I know each other? Well if you just know, we met back in January, got to know each other and after bonding a bit over our dead siblings, we started dating."

My voice was full of spite, but staring at her right now, I hadn't felt more angry. Both her and Henry had fucked me over and I was raging.

"You both left me." I said. "You both got out. Congratulations."

"Dahlia c'mon—" Henry spoke.

"No!" I exclaimed. "You know what? You two aren't much better than our parents."

"Don't say that." Nadine breathed.

"Well it's true, isn't it? They may have abused us, but you two left the youngest, knowing how bad it was, and you didn't even look back. I was four when you left, Henry, and twelve when you supposedly died, Nadine. I needed someone to get me out of there and you can say you cared, but if you did, you would have actually done something."

I felt George grab my hand.

"C'mon. Let's go home." He said. "The kids are sleeping and we should to. We have to get up in the morning."

He placed a hand on my shoulder to turn me away from them, and then he apparated the both of us to the back door of the flat.

He opened it, holding it open for me as I walked in. I could feel his eyes on me, concern showing in them.

"I'm just dreaming." I chuckled, running my hands over my face. "I'll go to bed, I'll wake up and realise that it was all just a dream."

George closed the door, locking it before he turned to look at me.

"She faked her death."

"Apparently." I laughed. "Yeah... apparently she just had to get away. Apparently she was so desperate that not even I mattered to her. They both just— fuck okay... I don't care. I don't give a shit. They can't get to me. I don't care."

George didn't say anything. His eyes dropped to the floor and I sighed, realising he had probably gotten his hopes up about Fred.

"I'm so sorry." I said, walking over to wrap my arms around him.

"What for?"

"You asked her about Fred and—"

"Fred is dead." George shrugged. "He always will be. It's nothing new."

He let out a small chuckle.

"Let's go to bed. We're both tired. We can figure all of this out tomorrow."

"I can't sleep." I breathed, pulling out of the hug. "Not after this."

I pulled out a chair at the dining table and sat down, thinking over everything that had just happened.

"She would rather fake her death than tell me she was leaving." I said, breaking into tears as I sat at the table. "They both just left."

George crouched down in front of me, causing me to look at him.

"And I've spent my whole life looking up to her." I sobbed. "I didn't think there was anyone better than her and all this time, she lived a wonderful life in Australia while I was here, suffering severe trauma from being abused and losing my only sister to war."

George stood up, hooked an arm under my knees and one behind my back before picking me up.

"George, what are you—"

"We're going to bed." He said. "I know you say you can't sleep but there's no reason to stay up all night."

He put me down on the bed in his bedroom, and I looked up at him as he cupped my face, wiping my tears with his thumbs.

"I'm sorry that you keep being fucked over by people in this world." He said.

I inhaled sharply.

"How are you feeling?" I asked. "You and Nadine were friends... weren't you?"

George shrugged.

"I wouldn't say that. We were acquaintances if anything..." he sighed and sat down on the bed. "I don't know what to think right now. They were both supposed to be dead and when I saw her, I got my hopes up that maybe Fred wasn't dead either."

I ran my hand over George's shoulder while resting my head against it.

"You're right." I said and moved back, pulling the hoodie over my head before managing to get out of the sweats while still being on the bed. "I'm naive and I'm easily manipulated."

"I never said you were naive."

"No but you insinuated it." I breathed. "Everyone screws me over and I'm fucking tired of it. I want to be able to take the lead in life, decide what would make me happy."

"And what would make you happy?" George looked at me.

"If we moved in together." I said. "I know it's only been five months since we met and I know we were just broken up for a week, but I love you and I'm almost much happier when I'm with you. Plus, our kids all get along really well. Elsie and Leah love being here. They love you."

George smiled and placed a hand on my bare thigh, using his thumb to brush over my skin.

"Let's discuss it tomorrow, yeah?"

I sighed.

"You don't like the idea, do you?"

"Of course I do, Dia." He said. "But so much has just happened so I want the both of us to be a bit more calm when discussing something life hanging for the both of us. Moving in together is a big decision. We'd need a new place together with room for us all, something we can both afford, and you just moved into a flat an hour away from here."

"I know." I sighed, crawling under the duvet. "I mean... it's been a couple of months since I moved in, and I get that's a very short time, but I love you, I love waking up to you and—"

I shook my head.

"We'll talk about it tomorrow... right."

George moved closer to me and pressed a kiss to my head.

"I'm sorry they left you." He whispered. "You never deserved the way anyone treated you."

As I laid down, George got undressed as well, put away the clothes we both had been wearing, before he joined me in bed after turning off the light.

As we laid down, we were facing each other. George moved a hand to my cheek, brushing over my skin before pushing some hair behind my ear.

"We can talk about it tomorrow, but if we decide to take this step together, I think we should wait until you've got that job at Hogwarts. It pays more and we'd be able to afford a house."

I hummed, moving closer to him.

"Probably a good idea." I sighed, closing my eye. "We'll talk tomorrow."

George brushed his fingers through my hair.

"I'll let you sleep tomorrow." He told me. "I'll talk to Bill, let him know you need a day off. After today, I don't think you should spend an entire day with paperwork."