Twenty-two

George and I sat on the roof of his flat once again.

He invited me over after he put his kids to bed and at the same time, Inez and Dove offered to babysit for me.

George was looking out at the view of Diagon Alley, chewing on the gum in his mouth. For some reason, chewing made him even more attractive, if it was even possible for him.

"Do you ever miss the days before you had kids?" I asked. "Before you married... when you were young, focusing on school?"

George looked at me and a smile spread across his face.

"Well, I never really focused on school." He said with a chuckle. "But yeah... I miss that all the time. I miss being in school because that's when I had my brother by my side. Learning to live without him was tough."

I hummed and moved closer to him.

"You were identical, weren't you?"

"We were." He smiled at me. "Though I was still the better looking twin."

I chuckled.

"Nadine was a twin, did you know?" I asked which caused George's eyes to widen. "His name was Sam. He got sick and died before I was even born."

I smiled up at him.

"I believe they're taking care of each other in heaven." I said. "And if Nadine and your brother were dating, they might be together in heaven as well."

George smiled and leaned down to press a soft kiss to my lips.

"My dad..." I breathed, resting my forehead against his shoulder. "...my dad once told me that losing someone would get easier with time."

"Yeah?" George wrapped an arm around me, brushing his fingers through my hair.

"He lied." I whispered. "It's never gotten easier."

"It doesn't." He agreed. "But you learn to live with the pain."

I was a child when my sister died. I think that was what made it harder. Having to grow up without her. She was the person I looked up to. The person who supported me and the person I could always count on.

I was almost thirteen when the war ended and we won. I was twelve years old. We won but I lost my sister and George lost his brother.

"You and Bill have a big family, right?" I asked, looking up at George while leaning my head against his shoulder.

"We were seven siblings, now we're six." He nodded. "Why?"

"Tell me about them." I said and laid down with my head on his lap as he leaned back on his hands. "I don't think I've asked you about it before."

"What do you want to know?"

I shrugged.

"I dunno. The order of you all, names... ages, I don't know. I just want to know more about your family."

"Okay." He chuckled, brushing his fingers through the front of my hair. "Well, Bill is the oldest. He's forty-one. His birthday is in November and you already know his occupation so I don't have to tell you that."

I smiled and shook my head.

"Charlie is next. He turns forty in December and he's in Romania, working with dragons."

"Dragons?"

"Uh-huh." He smiled. "Dragons is always on his mind. Since we were all kids he never spoke of anything else. Percy is two years older than me. He works for the Ministry. Head of the Department of Magical Transportation. Percy was also with Fred when he was killed. He still blames himself."