Sixty-one

"Mum."

My mum didn't listen as she looked around my office, her eyes eventually landing on George who had now pulled a blanket over himself.

"Mum." I said sternly. "You can't show up at my work."

She ignored me as she looked at George.

"And who might you be?"

George cleared his throat as he sat up straight.

"George Weasley, ma'am."

My mother's eyes widened before she turned to look at me with an accusing look.

"Dahlia, what did I tell you?"

I sighed and wrapped my arms around myself, having no idea what to answer.

"Mother..." I sighed. "...can you please leave? I was working."

"Working?" She laughed. "I highly doubt you were working."

She glanced at George and as I looked at him, he raised his eyebrows, offering his assistance but I shook my head.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"You didn't stop by with Leah."

"You cut me off."

"Where is Leah?"

I pressed my lips together. I didn't want to answer. I didn't want her to know where Leah was.

"She needs proper education, Dahlia." She said. "And if you don't want to take her to a proper school, she'll have her education with me."

"She's my daughter."

"And you're doing a terrible job raising her." She told me. "I should've taken her as soon as you decided to leave Malcolm. Her and Leah do not deserve to be raised with such an incompetent mother. Leah needs a stable parental figure and she needs discipline which she obviously isn't getting from you. The last time, she took off her pants and even tried taking off her diaper to pee on the floor. She's acting like a dog."

I gritted my teeth, wanting to absolutely kill my mother for even speaking about my daughter like that.

"She's two years old."

"And she's in need of discipline!" She raised her voice. "You don't have a basement, but I do so—"

"What?" I asked, gulping. "Please tell me you have not used that basement as a punishment for her."

"You make it sound like a prison, Dahlia."

"It was a prison!" I yelled, and I noticed George get off the sofa. "You do not have the right to try and raise or discipline my children! You did a terrible job when I was young. I don't need you to cause that kind of harm to Leah!"

I ran my hand into my hair, tugging at it.

"You're being dramatic again, Dahlia."

"No." I laughed, shaking my head. "I'm not. Leah is terrified of the dark, mum and you locked her in with it like you and dad did to Nadine and I! You probably did it to Henry too, didn't you?"

"Henry?" She laughed. "Why on earth are you all of sudden mentioning Henry?"

Uh...

I pressed my lips together as I looked down at the floor.

"You've seen him, haven't you?" She asked. "Where is he?"

"Why?" I asked and looked at her. "So you can torment him like you've been tormenting me for the past twenty-six years?"