Chapter 1 : A New Beginning

"Congratulations, anak! Proud na proud ako sa iyo!" , my mama tells me over the phone while tears escape my eyes as realization hits that I'm no longer dreaming. This is real life - I am now part of Philippine history.

I couldn't control the emotions that was bubbling up upon seeing a photo of my mom posing and smiling beside an image of me on TV being crowned as the new Miss Universe Philippines. My former classmate in Iloilo sent it to my viber since my mama went to her house to watch the pageant.

Coming from a poor broken family we have no television set nor cable internet and seeing that photo of my mom looking so happy and proud that I have won the title of Miss Universe Philippines 2020 made everything so special and worth it.

It was no ordinary pageant, given that it was held during a pandemic, we had to be in a bubble. There wasn't any live audience and we had to film five coronations featuring the top 5 as winners. The real winner will only be revealed during the TV broadcast a day after the taping.

Beating some of the best young women from all over the Philippines was not an easy feat - it was highly challenging, but I did it!

"Kaunting tiis nalang, ma. Di ko kayo pababayaan ni Mokmok. Gagawin ko lahat para maging komportable ang buhay natin. Sa susunod, Miss Universe na iuuwi ko!", I promised my mom before ending our call.

"Welcome to the MUP family, Rabiya!" said the creative director of Miss Universe Philippines, Jonas Gaffud or simply known as Mama J.

"Thank you so much po, Mama J! I promise I'll work extra hard to bring back home the Miss Universe crown. I want to make our country proud!", I replied.

"You will, Rabiya. You will", he smiled genuinely before giving me a tight and reassuring hug.

"I'm sure the universe will bless you with more than a crown. Before the pageant palang I could already sense and feel your sincerity and kindness to others. Di ka lang maganda, but napakabuti mo rin na tao, Rabiya. That's why I wasn't even surprised when you won the title - you truly deserve to win".

Mama J is legendary and it's also a dream to be honed and trained by the country's premiere Queen maker. He trained some of the most popular and best Pinay queens who've put the Philippines in the beauty pageant map as a powerhouse. Beauty Queens I admire and look up to like Pia Wurtzbach, Megan Young and Kylie Versoza. Starting today I'll be under his wings and I cannot wait to start my training and be my best for Miss Universe.

"Basta Rabiya, always remember to just be who you are. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Being a true queen is about being confident for being yourself and inspiring people. Alam mo na, a lot of people will try to pull you down and criticize you for this and that, but don't let it get into your head. Be the charming you lang. You're a very smart and beautiful young lady and soon you'll be able to show what you're capable of to the universe."

I smiled sincerely at the queen maker, "Thank you so much, mama J. That means a lot coming from someone I look up to."

"Train na tayo soon ha, but for now simply relish this moment. Mag enjoy ka", he said.

"Ayieee!!" we heard a commotion coming towards the Baguio Country Club hall where we watched the telecast. I glanced around the source of the sound and smiled to see manang MJ running up to me for a tight hug.

Manang MJ is my closest confidant ever since I moved to Manila to train and join MUP under the world-renowned pageant camp, Aces & Queens. I guess it was the young probinsyana in me that reminded her of her younger self, thus taking me under her wings and to make sure that nobody makes a fool out of me, or rather make a fool out of myself. She became in a nutshell, my big sister and a mentor-even if she technically came from A&Q's camp rival Kagandahang Flores.

"Langga! Super duper proud ako sa imo! Di mo lang alam gaano ako nagtitili while watching you on stage! As in! Gusto na nga ako lagyan ng medyas sa bunganga nitong ate JT mo", she said jokingly as ate Janine tries to catch her breath from a laughing fit.

"Ate Janine, super happy ako nandito ka and supporting us girls. Alam mo na inspiration kita talaga and while I was answering the final question naginternalize talaga ako kung paano kaya sasagutin ito ni ate Janine", I told the Miss Universe 2012 first runner-up.

"Ikaw talaga bunso! Bolera ka ha", she laughed "pero alam mo, ikaw talaga yung gusto namin manalo. We were all rooting for you even si ate Gazini mo super cheering for you. Panay bisaya na nga pinagsisigaw nila ni MJ wala na ako maintindihan e. Super galing mo lang talaga and we believe it's really your time to shine and that we know you'll represent the Philippines at Miss Universe well. Alam ng judges yan! Walang budol."

"Hoy langga, baka nakakalimutan mo na mas super fan mo ako. Di porket top 10 lang narating ko sa Miss Universe demoted nako. Walang first runner up first runner up dito! Nauna ako", manang MJ teased.

"Hindi ng MJ! Alam ko naman kung may tao na may capability gumawa ng kulto fan club for Rabiya Mateo ikaw yun" I told her while we bursted in laughter once again. Manang MJ never fails to be the life of any party.

I suddenly felt like crying not because I'm sad, but simply because I'm overwhelmed by the support from the previous queens. It meant so much to me especially I was a nobody and a dark horse prior the final competition. No one even predicted for me to win the title, but hearing their appreciation and assurance made me think that I truly deserve to be the new Queen.

"Aww, langga come here", MJ said as she wrapped her comforting arms around me again while ate Janine followed suit for a group hug.

This right here feels like family away from home and for the first time since I left my hometown Iloilo, I feel like I'm finally pursuing the right path that I was meant to be on. Who knows what surprises this journey will offer me, but one thing is for sure - I am ready for you, universe!

Five,
four,
three,
two,
one.

Amanda dropped the 10kg dumbbells on the floor. Sweat is evident all over her body as she wiped her face with a towel. The song Fight the Power by Public Enemy plays in the background.

"Amanda, have you seen the news? Philippines already crowned their new queen. Keep an eye on Philippines. We cannot afford to be the ASEAN pageant bridesmaid all the time. It's time for Thailand to reign the universe so you better work double, triple and keep your rivals closer - same thing goes for that Mayuma from Indonesia. It'll be travesty if Indonesia gets crowned before us", a shrewd middle aged woman raised her voice so the Thai-Canadian beauty could hear her clearly.

"Her name's Ayuma!" Amanda stressed while rolling her eyes "and she's actually a nice girl believe it or not".

The shrewd woman walked near Amanda this time "You didn't win Miss Universe Thailand to make friends, Amanda Chalisa! We chose you to represent Thailand because we know you can win the crown this time. The people of Thailand deserve a winner, we've been waiting for 33 years already."

The lady picks up Amanda's hands and held it tight, eyes focusing into her deep brown orbs, "Please do not let our people down. You can make friends after the competition but right now FOCUS - for Thailand".

Amanda simply sighed and gave the older lady a reassuring smile "for Thailand".

——

A/N: A short chapter to introduce our adorable Biyang and a lil tease of Amanda behind the scenes💓

P.S. This is my first fanfic so please be gentle with me regarding errors ✌🏽 I will try my best to be accurate with some details (I'm a big pageant fan so there will be some random trivia here and there per chapter 😜). Anyways, just reminding everyone to ship responsibly! 💪🏼