Chapter 35: It's in the soup

A/N: Morning update for a change.

💋
————

Amanda covered her head with a white weighted blanket to stop herself from having chills. Her immune system was reacting from the first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 shot—a common side effect of the vaccine in adults.

As part of the Miss Universe Organization's campaign to encourage people to get their vaccine to keep their communities safe and healthy, Amanda and some staff of the MUO went to a CVS Pharmacy in lower Manhattan to get inoculated, and because it's an official Miss Universe activity, the small but relevant event was covered by several local and international media.

The door to the bedroom of her new apartment opened, and Esther came in holding a pitcher of water, a glass and several caplets of Tylenol, "Amanda, you have to take the medicine and drink more water — dehydration contributes to your fever and headache. You gotta keep on drinking".

Esther poured some water from the pitcher to the ball glass in her right hand before pulling the blanket gently, uncovering the Thai's pale face.

"Your lips are getting dry. I'll bring in some warm chicken soup for you to drink later".

"Esther, I'm cold and I just want to sleep", Amanda protested, her left arm hurts and the pang of pain in her head was still present - throbbing and keeping her awake despite being in a sleepy state.

"How can you sleep if you're feeling pain? Take one capsule, then get all the sleep you want".

Amanda forced herself to sit up and took the glass of water from Esther - sipping a good amount of the liquid, refueling her body with a much needed hydration. Afterwards, she swallowed the Tylenol followed by another gulp of water.

"Good. I'll be back to check on you in four hours. Get some rest, Amanda. Do you want anything for dinner aside from the soup?"

"The soup and bread will do, Esther. And probably some fruits. Thank you".

The black woman nodded and tapped Amanda's head lightly. "I'll come back later. If you need anything, just ring me okay? Or call Asya — she won't be leaving the apartment to look after you".

It's Saturday and instead of going out to enjoy the city or relax, the two black women decided to stay in and be Amanda's caregiver for the day — it made the Thai feel guilty.

"Esther, I'll be fine".

The older woman swatted her hand at the Thai queen, "you're a foolish child if you think I'll let you shiver the entire day — I'll be back later".

"Hi Esther, is Amanda feeling okay?", Asya's head peeked in. Overhearing her pageant sister and road manager's conversation from her room just across Amanda's.

"She's fine, keep an eye on this one when I leave. Remind her to drink water ——— Amanda, don't be stubborn. I'll get going now", Esther pointed at the reigning Miss Universe.

The Thai woman leaned back on the soft pillows and pulled up the sheets to cover her neck, surrendering to her manager's instructions, "Okay, I'll keep on drinking".

Esther nodded and moved near the door, "I'll be back".

Asya entered the room when Amanda's manager left, "hey".

The Thai beauty queen smiled meekly - without ample energy, her cheerful persona was toned down significantly.

"Hey. I'm so sorry you get to be stuck here with me, but I promise I am fine".