Chapter 42 : Things In the Open

An hour ago.
Bangkok, Thailand.

A cluster of Thai reporters, cameramen and several invited journalists converge at Sukhumvit district's Hyatt Regency Hotel function room.

Most occasions, the Miss Universe Thailand organization would call for a press conference at TPN-Global's headquarters, it's parent company's main office - but not this time.

A journalist whispered to a colleague, "do you think it's something big? Like they would revamp the entire image of the pageant?"

"No. That's too basic for them to call us here. This—-this feels something bigger and significant. The only time they do a press con here is after a coronation with the new winner. This should be of that level —- maybe even more", one of Bangkok's seasoned entertainment reporter replied.

"Do you think this has something to do with the gossip circulating about Amanda?"

A cameraman overheard the question, "I got a tip this morning, Pui's going to say something 'explosive', that's what I heard".

The two reporters looked at the cameraman, and then at one another - curiosity arising in their head - it's going to be interesting once unraveled.

The main doors of Hyatt's function room opened and MUT's national director walked in - escorted by several people, mostly her staff, to the long table facing the curious reporters. Her chin was up and proud, as her eyes roam around the room. The shrewd woman was glad every major entertainment media network and publication in Thailand was in the venue.

"Sawatdee don chao. Good morning, everyone. Thank you for coming despite the urgent invitation", Pui Sankosik spoke to the media personnels present into the microphone. We at TPN - Miss Universe Thailand Organization expresses our warm gratitude for the support and coverage you've been giving us for the past two years", she grinned. The people in the room were silent —— lending their ears to Thailand's biggest pageant's national director .

"I know you're intrigued you've been invited to a special press conference all of a sudden. As you know, or I am positive at least half in this room know that there are matters of concern that's being thrown at our reigning Queen and the new Miss Universe, Amanda Chalisa Obdam —— I am speaking to you today, not just in behalf, but as a mother and a mentor who is so proud of a child. We have seen Amanda's accomplishments, we are all proud of her, but only a few have seen her struggle", the director glanced and her focused audience - she smirked, in her mind she knew she got their attention and in a few seconds, her organization will be in the center of national-worthy news.

"Behind Amanda's queenly charismatic smile is a regular person - just like us....and she gets hurt. And with the recent stories that's been circulating in social media and to a point, our streets, they're talking about how poor Amanda's choice of lifestyle is, it's getting out of hand and taking a toll on our queen. We understand that a Queen needs to set a standard and an example to young people, but at the same time, a real Queen also knows how to set and lead by example of ways that can be diverse and accepting of differences. Someone who knows who she truly is. Someone who is free to trail-blaze her own trademark, and a real Queen is someone who spearheads change for the better. Which is why, we at TPN-MUT fully support our Queen, Amanda Obdam, as the first lesbian Miss Universe in history."

The crowd gasped — followed by murmurs and whispers that made Pui's eyes sparkle. She definitely was loving the reaction.

The woman continued, "the times are changing and so must we. As June is also pride month, we have pledged our support to organizations who uplift and protect the rights of LGBTIQ+ people. MUT is prepared to sponsor causes and programs that will help make the voices of the members of these communities be heard. As of speaking, we have donated 100,000 Baht to our non-profit organization partner, OutRight, to help with their human rights advocacy on behalf of people who experience discrimination or abuse on the basis of their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. We hope that as supporters of the organization and our queens, you could also embrace the goodness in these people despite your lifestyle or sexuality's differences".