Chapter 21 : Velvety Smooth

It's our first dinner outside the hotel hall and all the girls, including me, are very excited! It's rare for us to have a chance to roam around the hotel grounds, better yet a night-out in the city! So everyone was actually looking forward to this night.

The day went steady. This morning we had our initial rehearsal followed by the Smile Train event wherein we got to draw and color eco bags that will be given to children with a cleft lip. I hope ma-appreciate ng bata yung ginawa ko even if I know mine wasn't the best, medyo nag-exceed sa lines yung pagka-color ko kasi.

Aisha was still putting on her earrings and final touches of her makeup so I decided to ring my mama for a quick chat. Miss ko narin kasi si mama. Gising na naman siguro sila ng kapatid ko.

A few rings after, my mama answered the video call. I was so happy that my right hand was waving like crazy! "Hello ma! Kamusta na kayo diyan, si Mokmok di ka nman po ba iniiwan?"

"Ate naman nandito ako!" I giggled upon hearing my little brother.

My mama smiled, "mabait naman ang kapatid mo, nak. Sumusunod naman. Huwag mo kami alalahanin dito, okay lang kami. Ikaw yung inaalala ko. Kamusta ka na ba diyan?"

"Okay lang naman, ma. Masaya din naman, yung mga kasama ko naman dito nakakapagpasaya din sa akin. Puyat at pagod lang ma, pero kaya naman." I smiled at my mom. As much as possible, I don't like to tell my struggles to her since I wouldn't want her to worry. She's getting older and I don't want to impose a lot of stress in her mind - my mama ndeserves to enjoy her life.

"Oh e basta mag-iingat ka diyan lagi ha. Magpahinga ka din naman at baka magkasakit ka pa", my mama said while drinking a cup of coffee.

"Opo ma. Kayo rin diyan. Lalabas po kami mamaya-maya para mag dinner. First time nga namin kakain ngayon sa labas kaya excited na yung ibang delegates din."

"Ah, ganoon ba? Mabuti naman at makakapagliwaliw kayo diyan. Ingat lagi anak ha marami parin ang may covid."

"Of course, ma. Always naman. Kayo rin diyan ingat kayo." I looked at Aisha who's almost done. "Sige ma, need ko na rin umalis. Tatawag o kaya message nalang ako mamaya. Magsesend din ako ng pictures."

"Okay anak. Ingat palagi at salamat sa pagtawag." my mom smiled. Miss na miss ko na talaga mama ko.

"Sige ma. Bye po. Bye mok!"

"Bye bye" my mama waved from the screen before I pressed the end call button.

"I'm ready, Rabiya. Hope I look good now." Aisha flipped her hair while looking at herself in the full-body mirror.

"You look pretty, babe. Ready to head out?"

"Yes! I've been waiting for this night since day one!" the Japanese laughed while strolling to open the door of our room.

Nakakatawa lang kasi when we opened the door, ang ingay din sa hallway. The other girls were ready to go as well. I could feel the excitement in the air. Game na game na lahat!

"Okay, ladies!" one of our chaperone yelled. "If your schedule indicates Group A, proceed to the elevator on the other side of the hall. Destiny will be waiting for you. If you're in Group B, follow me."

"Are we in group B?" I asked Aisha.

"I think so" the Japanese swiped the screen of her phone and checked her schedule. To be sure, I double-checked mine as well.

"Yeah, I'm in group B", I confirmed.

"Oh, I'm group A!" Aisha was surprised that we're separated for tonight and so was I. Perhaps, this was really the plan so we can mingle and bond with other girls apart from our roomies.