Chapter 66 : Taking One For The Team

______

"So, where are we—whoa!"

I pulled Veena by the arm and brought her to a quiet area — away from most people in the rock climbing gym.

"Hey, what's that for?"

"Sorry, Vee. I'm just—ugh! I need your help".

"What happened? Did Pra get in trouble?? Are you pregnant??"

"What?! No!! I'm fine. We're fine—she wouldn't help me, though! Veena, I need you".

Amanda's best friend squinted and bent forward as if she was inspecting my face closely — to a point na naduling na ako sa lapit ng mukha niya.

"What are you doing?" I swatted the space between us.

"Just checking if you're not lying. Heck what happened?"

I groaned as I was becoming frustrated. "Vee, will you help me or not? This is for the sake of —-everyone!"

She raised an eyebrow. "Is this some kind of social service where I'll become a decorated hero!?"

"Something like that — Vee, please! I just need you to take me to this address". I handed her the small paper which I kept in my pocket.

"9 Rama 9 Road, G Tower—" Veena returned the paper. "What's this all about?"

"I promise I will tell everything when we get there, but right now, please! Just take me there — I was thinking of hailing a taxi or booking a ride service, but — I figured — it would be hard for me since I do not speak any Thai yet. Veena, I terribly need your help this time! Please!"

The woman in front of me exhaled exasperatedly, "Wait for me. I'll grab my stuff".

"Thank you!" I jumped and hugged her.

"Whoa-whoa. Easy, Rab", she chuckled.

"I owe you — just tell me what you want!"

"Don't tempt me with a blank offer — your girlfriend might not approve and we'll both get in trouble".

"Oh—"

"Not in that way! Geez, what do you think of me?"

I scratched my head.

"Stay here. Don't move!"

"Okay—please don't say anything to Amanda. At least not yet. I'll tell her later".

Veena nodded and went to her locker to grab her stuff. When she came back, she shook her head. "I swear you and Amanda are ridiculously persistent — and why do you two keep dragging me into your weird adventures?!"

"Thanks, Vee! That's why we love you".

My girlfriend's best friend rolled her eyes playfully. "Come on. Let's go to the parking. Promise you'll tell me later!"

I nodded quickly like a kid.

After going down the stairs to reach her parking slot, we hopped into her convertible car. Veena has a knack for luxury sports car and this must be the third one that I've seen her drive. I don't even know the brand or model of this car - but it doesn't matter, because it looks and sounds fast, so it will do the job properly — and take me to the address that I need to go in no time.

The ride was fairly quick. Malapit lang pala yung gym ni Veena sa building address.

"We're here. That's the G Tower."

I looked at the tall modern building that has a bluish glass facade. "I need to talk to someone who has an office here".

"I know somebody who has an office — this is where — nevermind".