Chapter 3 : The Message

"Ugh!"

Faint morning rays of the sun shine through the sheer beige curtain of Amanda's bedroom.
Her naked body covered in white Egyptian cotton sheets - pure comfort against the draft of the air conditioner.

She looked at the clock beside her bed and groaned, "I hate mornings" before pushing the sheets aside to sit up, ready to start the day or rather, end the year.

It was quite a rainy New Year's eve morning in Bangkok. Amanda decided to take a walk outside to catch the dewy petrichor . For some reason, she has this odd liking of the earthy scent when rainfall hits the soil. It reminds her of childhood, the comfort and warmth - like a nice big hug.

While walking, she notices a new cafe round the block of her apartment. The colors orange and blue dominate the facade- inviting, colorful, festive. A beautiful fire teasing Amanda to come closer like a moth.

'Viva Filipinas' the sign reads. Amanda pushes the door of the cafe and is greeted by a beautiful mural of 'bayanihan', "Mabuhay! Welcome to Viva Filipinas. Would you like to dine in or carry out?" an elderly attendant asked, cutting out Amanda from her trance.

"Oh, umm, I think I'll look around first. Can I see your menu?"

"Of course. Here you go. We have our brunch specials for New Year's Eve - pancit molo, La Paz Batchoy, silog meals with ensalada and lumpiang seafood" the old woman smiled while handing Amanda the menu.

"I'm sorry, this is my first time to encounter this" Amanda slightly panicked but composed herself in time, "I'm actually not familiar with Filipino cuisine, but I could try one of your specials."

"Very well, would you prefer beef tapa or chicken tocino? I would recommend beef if you prefer a spicy-garlicky food or if you're a fan of something savory yet sweet, the chicken tocino would be perfect. Everything is complimented by our house-made garlic rice and ensalada. It's basically roasted eggplants and mixed with salted duck egg, tomatoes and herbs. It is really delicious."

Amanda was not prepared for this - a full blown meal of a cuisine that she hasn't even tried yet. She will surely regret all the carbs that she'll consume. Her fitness coach will not like it, but it's a holiday anyway. In her mind though, there's always a first time for everything.

"I'll try the beef...tah-puh? please. Thank you. I've gotta say I'm curious."

"Take a seat, miss. Never been to the Philippines then?" inquired the old woman.

"I've never been, unfortunately...at least not yet" she pauses and sits on a chair behind the table, she adds "I know somebody though, I mean I have a friend from the Philippines" 

"Ah! Your friend didn't let you taste Filipino food?"

"We actually haven't met yet", Amanda bashfully grinned.

The attendant widened her eyes, "Oooh, online. Virtual friend?"

"Not really. Well, we chat and send messages" Amanda stated as a matter of fact.

The older woman teased, "He must be handsome lucky guy because you're very pretty. Filipinos are very sweet especially when they're courting you."

Amanda was speechless. She shut her eyes in bewilderment.

"It's not like that. She's not handsome —I mean she's a woman—I mean don't get me wrong she's stunning, but she's not li—"

"Oooh, I see! Don't worry" the old lady cuts her off again, "I do not discriminate. Love is love" she winks and smiles leaving Amanda amused, her mouth opened. Still speechless at the outcome of their conversation.