Chapter 19 : Charades

The Hollywood Seminole Hard-Rock Hotel & Casino lunch hall was bustling with the sponsors and delegates meeting in person for the first-time. Several accredited media partners were also present to mingle with the ladies competing for the crown.

"Thank you, Miss Thailand. I'm sure the Filipino fans will be more than glad to see and know more about you." Andre said after his interview with the Thai delegate.

"The pleasure is all mine. Thank you!" Thailand's representative warmly replied to the young Filipino-American. Amanda's left palm landed on her chest, surprised how the interview went well. She didn't like Andre much at first, but he wasn't that bad.

The young man smiled and scratched the back of his head, "this is pretty cool, right?"

"What do you mean?" Amanda asked the young man in front of him who was scanning the entire hall like it's his first time to step into a world like this.

He chuckled, "I'm sorry. I mean, how awesome it is to see beautiful, smart and confident women gathering together and vying for a single title. Like how each and every delegate here dream about becoming Miss Universe—but I don't sense any aura of a competition—it feels more like a loving community. It's amazing."

Amanda looked around to see what Andre said was talking about. Miss Myanmar hanging out with Miss Aruba; Miss Japan and South Korea laughing with Indonesia and USA; Canada, South Africa and Great Britain discussing something; Chile and Peru telling Rabiya something funny - she could easily trace the Filipina's adorable laugh lines from where she's standing. The Thai delegate smiled, "I think that's because we simply love being with each other. The girls are wonderful."

Andre laughed, "Yes, they are and I'm sure they love you too". He instinctively raised both of his fists with the index finger and thumb extended, hands imitating a pistol - pointing at the beautiful Thai-Canadian woman.

Amanda tittered, "I do hope so". Her head swiveling back to check on Rabiya who was still laughing whole-heartedly with the two Latinas.

"She's really something, isn't she?" the young man asked, but it sounded more of a statement.

Amanda looked back at Andre who had his eyes set on the phenomenal Filipina delegate.

"Oh, who?" the Thai-Canadian pretended to be clueless.

"I mean Rabiya—she's," he paused. "She's the kindest. I only have good words. I'm not saying this because I'm team Philippines, but she's the sweetest." Andre's smile reaches his eyes before turning his focus back at Amanda.

The Thai delegate smiled without showing her teeth and nodded, "she is." Amanda felt slightly annoyed, so she asked what's lurking in her head, "you like her?"

Andre smirked, "Rabiya's very likeable so yeah, I like her a lot." He turned to face where the Filipina's standing once again, "she's very intelligent but she's also such a down-to-earth person. I have utmost respect for her" the young man grinned, "what's not to like —— or love?" he placed his hands inside the back pocket of his denim jeans and faced Amanda, "She's the perfect Miss Philippines".

Amanda lifted her chin slightly, dissecting the meaning behind Andre's praises for the young Filipina woman. "How long have you known her?"

"Not that long. I first met Rabi a couple of weeks back. We shared the same house before coming here to the hotel", Andre stated.