Chapter 16: Meanings and Mysteries

Representation.
Is it merely an act to stand in behalf of a person? A state? An image? A group? An idea? Or does it entail something more?

A voice.
An aspiration.
A responsibility.
A beginning. A feeling.

Thoughts about its real meaning run inside Amanda's head like clockwork. She brushes her long silky straight hair after a short live IG to update her followers.

She stared at the woman who was looking back at her in the bathroom mirror.

When she entered the national-level pageantry, Amanda knew what she would be facing—The spotlight, criticisms, the opportunities and a multitude of task ahead as a spokesperson.

Her story leading to the national crown was colorful at best, but what's more significant in this journey of hers isn't her own story or of how capable she is of becoming the best amongst the sea of delegates, but the stories of the people she wishes to help - stories that represent something. Something that can perhaps, alter the course of life of somebody who's in desperate need of change. Needing freedom. Needing peace. Needing representation.

It was day 3 and the other half of the delegates would have completed their quarantine. A little bit later, she'll be meeting her Singaporean roommate for the first time. She has researched about Bernadette Belle Ong—- or rather Veena, being impeccable with her panache for research gave Amanda the 411 on Miss Singapore.

She hasn't spoken nor chatted with her new roommate prior to the pageant, but she knew Singapore's delegate was smart, eloquent and frank.

The funny thing is that some people in her team believe that the Singaporean could be a spy. A mole planted by her counterpart's mother organization to observe Amanda and team Thailand's moves. The assistant of Thailand's national director even warned her to be careful with Miss Singapore, because they suspect that Bernadette Belle is working for team Philippines—as the creative director for Miss Universe Singapore and Philippines are one and the same, Jonas Gaffud.

The absurdity of the higher ranks of her team make her cringe. How can the foundation of the organization she's representing be so ludicrous?
Being Thailand's delegate is a privilege and a responsibility for Amanda, but being a spokesperson and face of an organization that she's rapidly resenting feels like torture to her already and makes her wonder if she's a masochist considering all the times she has yielded in their favor.

But this wasn't the moment to be remorseful as she has a bigger task ahead. If she can pull this challenge off, then maybe she'll finally be able to run things how she wants it to be. To have the result that she craves. To tell stories that she have been wanting to share all along. To be the spokesperson of those who have a hard time having their voices be heard, to represent those who didn't have a choice but to surrender and conform.

"I hope I will be worthy and strong enough to carry the torch", she told herself before stepping out of the bathroom to grab her purse and leave the room.

The hallway was a bit empty this time as she was quite running late for lunch. When she reached the elevators, she found a lone delegate who was busy taking photos using a phone.

"Oi! Hola, Señorita Tailandia. Come here. Would you be a sweetheart and pose for a selfie with me?" a bubbly blonde latina asked her.

Amanda looked at the blonde's sash,
"Hi Miss Chile! Of course, anything for my Miss Universe sister." the Thai beauty queen walked beside the other woman and posed.

Snap.

"Caliente! Gracias. Thank you very much. You are beautiful" the Chilean delegate complimented her Thai pageant sister.