Chapter 31 : All Hail the New Queen

A/N: My take on the finals.
'Tis a long one. Enjoy.

💋
————-

The day finally arrived.

Today, culminates months of rigorous training, preparations and sacrifices - all leading to the moment we all have been waiting for. By tonight, someone is going to get crowned as the new Miss Universe.

It was still a bit dark outside by the time I opened my eyes. The sound from my alarm gradually increased as I stretched my body and yawned. The bag of flamin' hot Cheetos from last night was still beside me.

The alarm tone from my phone was becoming annoying that I had to snooze it. My head was slightly throbbing and I was still coping from the stress of last evening— my eyes started to involuntarily shut, sleepiness slowly took over.

"Damnit, Amanda! We're going to be late!"

A jolt of surprise from my roommate's voice awakened me. I don't know how many minutes I drifted off to sleep, it surely felt like seconds, but when I checked the clock, it was almost seven in the morning. Shit!

Belle and I are definitely going to be late!

I scrammed to get up and tugged my hair back - I forgot to place all that I need for the finals into my suitcase last night. This is not good, "Fuck!"
How very unlikely of me.

"I'm going to shower quick!", my roommate rushed to get her toiletries and her clothes. Both of us must be looking like two spinning tops going out of control. If there's one trait that my roomie rubbed off on me, it's becoming messy and unprepared for the past twenty-four hours.

My phone went off all of a sudden. The vibration startling me from the chaos that is my finals luggage. I swiped it open to read the messages.

Pui Sankosik - MUT ND (6:43 AM)
Stay focused today Amanda and FOLLOW the plan.

Pui Sankosik - MUT ND (6:43 AM)
My eyes are on you.

I sighed and looked at the other suitcase where my alternate evening gown is stored.

After a few minutes, my phone vibrated again.

Joe Kheng (6:46AM)
I'm really sorry for last night, please forgive me. I want to wish you good luck tonight. I'll be cheering for you. I still love you, Amanda.

Perhaps Veena and Belle were right. Joe's becoming a huge problem. Something that I'll have to deal with again after the pageant. I rolled my eyes and opened the other messages that I received while I was asleep.

Veena Singh (12:15AM)
Hope you've talked to Rabiya. I'm serious when I said if you want me to speak to her, I will.

Veena Singh (12:15AM)
If she's smart as I think she is, she'll allow you to explain.

Veena Singh (12:16AM)
On the other hand, if she's stubborn like you...🥺

Veena Singh (12:16AM)
You're probably asleep. I'll hit the sack as well. Best of luck, Pra. Hey, whatever it is that you're going to wear it DOESN'T matter. You are great even if you wear a sack. Win or lose, those who love you are already so proud of you (including me)❤️ speak w/u after the pageant.

As much as I would want to say more things to Veena, I do not have the luxury of time so I opted to reply with a single message, which I'm sure would irk my good friend to pieces for days.