Chapter 10 : Life and its cunning ways

🧡

"Hi!!!"

Wow, Amanda's voice was pitched higher than usual. Not sure if excited ba siya masyado or nagulat when she saw me, nevertheless I was a glad that I get to talk with her in 'real-time' this time around. At least, I know hindi na ito weird conversation na until now, wala parin akong idea what happened that early morning, and hindi na rin ako seen-zone.

"Hello Amanda! Hello to everybody who's watching" I waved at the screen and gave them my best smile.

I don't know if my connection or streaming paused, but Amanda wasn't moving nor speaking. Her eyes were just wide and grinning. "Hello? Is my stream working?" I waved again.

"Yes! —— I— Thank you for joining me today!" Amanda finally said "Hi everyone! Thanks for joining our IG Live and today we have a very special guest! I think you guys already know her! it's not even a surprise anymore! Please welcome, Miss Philippines Rabiya Mateo! Hi Rabiya!"

"Hi! I am so glad to be joining you, Amanda, for this IG Live and i'd like to thank the Miss Universe Thailand organization for inviting me. You know this is my first IG live with a fellow Miss Universe delegate and I'm very happy that it's with you." I said as the comments from the viewers pour in and I was surprised to see a lot of Filipino fans sending messages like 'I love you Rabiya and Amanda', 'two of my favorite candidates', nakakatuwa. Di ko maimagine na kahit sa page ng ibang bansa, todo support parin ang mga kababayan ko.

"Yes, likewise. I don't know if you're aware, but a lot of fans always ask me about you! Like they want me to take a photo with you when I meet you and I think we've finally managed to somehow bring the fans what they want, hence here we are! Not together yet! - but it's one step closer to your requests".

I smiled at what my fellow delegate said as it's nice to know that hindi lang pala dito ang reach ko, but pati sa Thailand gusto na rin ako makita ng mga fans doon. Nakakagulat at nakakatuwa talaga, I mean from someone who was a nobody from Iloilo, here I am with one of the most popular Miss Universe 2020 candidate.

"Really? Wow, that's so nice to know!" I replied "I know Thai fans have been very nice to Filipino queens especially since our Miss Universe 2018, Catriona Gray, was crowned in your country—and I just feel like there's always been a very special connection between Thailand and the Philippines. I think it's the South East Asian spirit because we're neighboring countries and like for me, it's nice to see our region get represented really well in an international stage - because growing up I rarely get to see a young woman or any female of our race make it really big. It's once in a blue moon only, and right now every time I see a South East Asian or any Asian in Hollywood or an international show I feel so proud because, I feel like that's me!" I told Amanda and the viewers.

"Yes, I get what you mean and there's definitely something special like an unspoken understanding between South East Asians whenever it comes to let's say the Olympics, or even American Idol, or Miss Universe. We are capable and very competitive on our own, but at the same time when we see that representation, especially when it gets singled out, we automatically cheer for them whichever south east Asian country he or she may come from. I think it's a regional camaraderie thing" my fellow candidate said.

"Actually, a lot of Thai fans love Catriona and I will not be surprised if that love will extend towards you" she smiled and I could feel that it was a genuine one even if it was just on screen. Ang ganda naman pala talaga niya especially if naka-ngiti ng ganito.

I giggled, "And I'd embrace the love with open arms!" we both laughed. Magaan naman pala siya kausap eh——pag matino yung conversation.

"You know, don't get me wrong, okay? Even if some of our fans pit us up against each other or start a fan war, I have high respect for Thai queens such as you - and not just Thai queens but all queens, because what we are doing isn't easy. Each of us undergo almost the same pressure of representing our country, and training to be at your best is something that you cannot just do overnight. It really takes dedication, discipline and desire to get to the destination you're dreaming of and to most queens, it is winning that international title. Of course there will always be one winner and only one girl destined to be Miss Universe this year, but for those queens who will not win the title, we cannot demote them nor discount the fact that we all experienced the hardships, the mental and physical toll and everything. So guys, let's just spread love because whether you're rooting for Amanda or me or another queen, we all did what we think is our best to represent our countries and to be honest we love and support each other. We are in this together." I added, mukhang napalitanya ata ako eh - Amanda was just staring at me kasi. Hala, I hope I didn't offend her with my answer or nasapawan ko siya.