Chapter 61 : Surprise Me Not

————

The paper bags and flowers kept rustling as Mary Jean tried to single-handedly open Rabiya's door. Behind her were a few of their ecstatic friends who were ready to surprise the young Filipina on the morning of her birthday.

Bonita grew impatient and kept calling Celeste on her phone while holding a huge teddy bear. "MJ, ano ba? Bakit ang tagal? Tapos ito pang si Cele, usapan seven — tulog pa rin ata. Dapat siya nga yung una dito, nandyan lang naman siya sa kabilang pinto".

"I feel like matutunaw na siguro yung cake, mare". Bernadette chimed.

"Shh! Teka lang naman, hindi ko mapasok ng maayos yung susi. Pinangatngat ata ito ni Ibyang sa aso niya, eh".

Benj came forward to help the older beauty queen. "Teh, ako na". He took the keys from MJ's hand.

The door of the other condo unit swiftly opened revealing a disheveled Celeste. "Fuck. Is it seven? Wait!"

Everyone shifted their attention to the Filipina-Italian who ran towards them while tying her hair up in a bun.

Bonita complained again. "Bat ba ang bigat na nitong oso para sa stuffed toy?"

"AHA!" Benj squealed as the door opened. "Bakit feeling ko mga magnanakaw tayo?", he chuckled while entering the foyer.

"Hold on!" Celeste stopped everyone.

"What, Cele?", MJ asked.

"Shouldn't we wait for Rab to wake up?", the beautiful chef whispered.

"Ibyang's awake for sure. Maaga nagigising yun. It's already seven. Saka, paano magiging surprise if alam niya na may surprise tayo?" MJ scratched her head.

Celeste sighed and followed the group inside.

"Wow. I didn't know Rab likes to display huge photographs of her", the Singaporean chuckled.

"Shh!", MJ giggled softly and walked inside Rabiya's condo with soft steps. It was silent in the living area.

"Tulog pa nga siguro si Rab". Bonita placed the big bear on the sofa. "Ang tahimik eh! Where's Tobi?"

MJ walked to the corner where the dog's sleeping mat was located - Rab's dog was nowhere to be found. "Baka nasa masters. Wait, setup na natin yung banner and balloons diyan". She pointed at the glass window facing an awakening Makati Skyline.

The group busied themselves by installing pink and  white balloons, and banners in the living area before surprising their friend in her room.

After several minutes, they've finally completed setting up the birthday party materials.

"Sinong gusto magbukas ng room?" MJ took out her phone and started to record what they were about to do.

"Me! Ako ang unang diyosang bubungad sa kanya". Bonita waved her hand and sashayed her big butt in front of the pack.

Their group was excited simply because nobody has ever thrown a birthday surprise for Rabiya. They were about to change that and were keen to document the celebration regardless if their friend looked like a disordered damsel in bed or a vixen rocking the mattress.

"Shh... In three, okay?"

They slowly walked in front of the master bedroom's door following Bonita. The stylist carefully turned the door knob down and before pushing the door, she slightly raised her hand — fingers counting down. 

"Three....."

"two....."

"one...."

Bonita pushed open the door in one swoop.