Chapter 70 : Set On You

I breathed in and out deeply. Closing my eyes and shutting every noise around me. My mind only focused on a single source of light in the middle of all the blackness in my head.

"Ladies and gentlemen, presenting my absolutely beautiful co-host for tonight, please give a warm round of applause to Rabiya Occeña Mateo!"

A ringing sound blared in my ear causing my eyes to open wide. It is showtime.

My lips automatically curled up to give a genuine smile as I stepped out of the stage — debuting myself to the hundreds of Thai and international audience in this theater and the people who were streaming the live broadcast of the official launch of the new Miss Universe Thailand Organization.

Waving at the audience, I reminded myself to not be nervous. I've got this.

I faced my co-host, Thailand's longtime MUT emcee DJ PK, and then did the traditional wai by bowing sightly while I pressed my two palms together— my fingertips touching my nose.

"Sawadee ka, PK. Sawadee ka, Thailand! And sawadee ka, Universe!!"

The crowd cheered loudly. I can feel the energy in the room and the grin on my face instinctively activated. I even saw the new owner Khun Anne smiling and blowing me a kiss from the front row.

"How have you been, Rabiya? Thank you so much for joining me today".

My eyes shifted to the teleprompter in front.

"I am feeling wonderful! You know PK, I've just moved to Bangkok a few weeks ago and I've got to say that the Thai people has got to be one of the best in the world, together of course with Filipinos — you are so warm, and kind, and beautiful. I love Thailand!"

"And Thailand loves you too, Rabiya".

"WE LOVE YOU RAB!!!!"

Someone screamed from the audience and it made me laugh. Feeling ko mga Pinoy yun.

"Thank you, PK. My heart is filled with so much joy right now".

"It is our pleasure, Rabiya".

"And it's also my pleasure to kick-off today's festivities with you. Why don't we start by finally revealing some very important details that I'm pretty sure you guys are all looking forward to know".

I was hearing some whistles from the audience and continued cheering.

"Absolutely! But before we do just that, we have a special presentation for you guys who are here —"

"Hmm...I wonder what's that?"

"Well, I don't want to keep you waiting since someone might — you know — send me a memo backstage....from the boss", PK winked and the crowd hooted. I blushed a little bit since I know who he's talking about. "So, let's take a look at what the universe has in-store for us!"

The lights dimmed and a video presentation illuminated the large LED screen behind us - showing some places in Thailand, then several Thai women from all over the country and the world.

The video went black and there was silence—until a small bright golden light began to expand. Illuminating everything on the screen —- then a burst! Stars scattered and the audience erupted as scenes of past Miss Universe Thailand winners graced the video in unison to the sound of drumbeats that was penetrating my chest. The hair in my arms rose.

It's time, Universe.

A very familiar voice over chimed as a back of a woman with a silky straight black hair appeared. Then this woman suddenly turned to reveal her face with a sleek flip of her hair.