Chapter 72 : Fast Talk

"Mrs. Obdam".

A nurse held my hand gently.

"Ma'am—", the healthcare worker tried to get my attention.

My muscles became rigid, as my hands gripped tightly on the chair's arm. Amanda was still asleep from the emergency C-section that finished less than a few minutes ago. I couldn't bare seeing the entire operation since muntikan na akong mahimatay, so two nurses escorted me out of the Operating Room.

"The doctor will speak to you in a while", the nurse added making my heart pump faster. My palms were sweating and I stood up to wait near the surgery room's window —all that I could see were several nurses in blue scrubs. No sign of my wife — nor our baby.

Amanda was about 30 weeks pregnant after carrying my inseminated egg with Andre's sperm cells. The day we found out that we're conceiving has made us feel over the moon upon knowing that the initial gestational procedure was a success. I actually wanted to carry the baby first, but they we decided that if Amanda wanted to give birth to one of our children, the time was now — she wasn't getting any younger and her endorsement offers were piling up.

Focused on the excitement for the delivery of our first-born, we were blindsided by the fact that a normal and healthy pregnancy for 7 months would quickly turn into a very scary, and dangerous one.

After having severe headaches and swelling for weeks, recent tests and checkup with Dr. Somsri, our obstetrician in Bangkok, she found that Amanda had preeclampsia, a serious condition in which pregnant women get a sudden rise in blood pressure and increased protein in the urine — in short, Amanda's body was working abnormally hard, adding more risk to the baby, making the doctor suggest that they we need to have to deliver the baby sooner.

I felt a firm, but comfortable grip on my shoulders. Turning around, I saw Amanda's dad and hugged my father-in-law.

"I hope they're fine. I wouldn't know what to do if something terrible happens to either one of them".

Paul rubbed my back before his wife joined him to comfort me.

"They will be okay. They're both strong", Paul whispered.

The door of the surgical room swung open and out came a female doctor clad in pink surgical scrubs and skull cap.

"Rabiya".

"Doc, are my wife and baby okay? How are they? Is everything alright?"

Dr. Somsri pursed her lips and held my hand. "Your wife is stable now and doing okay. We're just letting her recover for another couple of hours and she'll be brought back to your private room. As for your baby ....", the doctor squeezed my hands.

She sighed.

"She is alive".

"She? We have a girl?" My eyes started to swell.

"Already showing signs of a formidable fighter, just like her mommies", the doctor smiled.

"Is she okay, doc? Does she have any complications?"

"Pre-mature babies will need extra care. We are doing our very best to assist her development, keep her safe and help her become healthy. Right now she's in an incubator and we have inserted a small tube to help her absorb the nutrients that will help her grow".

Hindi ko maintindihan yung pakiramdam ko as I felt a heavy tug in my heart. I couldn't imagine the suffering my daughter's tiny body was enduring. I sniffed and wiped her nose. Tears flowing down my eyes. "When can I see her?"

"You can see her as early as now. The NICU is just beside the nursery....and Rabiya— ", the gynecologist smiled kindly. "You have a beautiful baby girl and I will assure you, I'll do everything to make her okay so you and your wife can take your little girl home in no time".