Chapter 62 : Riptide

Some say that a coward hides behind lies and deceit....And that the opposite will be honest no matter how painful the truth is.

It's easier said than done, because right now, even if I want to do the right thing, I'm secretly wishing that my feet would be all tied up, just so I could avoid walking back to my condominium building.

"Rab—", Celeste's eyes bore into mine — unnerving me. My feet too afraid to step inside the elevator.

She sighed.

I don't even know if she's aware of what's going on in my moronic head, but she probably could sense I was off. I was, indeed, terrified.

"Come on", Cele pulled my hand and took the elevator from the parking basement to the lobby. She held and squeezed my fingers lightly 'til the doors opened.

It was late at night — no — it was actually beyond midnight, but the light was too bright in the lobby that I had to shut my eyes for a while. Or maybe, I just didn't want to see the real world right now and would prefer to be drowned in the shadows of darkness.

Ang emotera ko talaga.

I felt another tug as Celeste led me out of the elevator. My feet automatically followed my neighbor, like it trusted her wherever she led me.
"Hey!" I heard my neighbor's ecstatic voice right before releasing my hand.

And then, I opened up my eyes.

How do I even start? Should I say anything?

Amanda's eyes danced with clarity and it frightened me further. How am I supposed to tell her what happened if there's so much happiness in her eyes? It was also obvious that she's tired — I'm not surprised kasi alam ko how much a taping and media day could be so draining to the body and mind — but Amanda was a trooper. Her smile had big promise and hope, and sa totoo lang, I don't think I have the heart to ruin the sparkle in her.

"Hey, Cele". Amanda grinned at my neighbor before casting her beautiful gaze at me.

"Hi". She took in a deep breath and shook her head as she gazed at me. "Hi. Wow — you look— really — you look perfect". She came closer and all I could do was stare at my ex-girlfriend. A hand swiftly scooped me up from behind and felt her lips brush against my cold cheek —warming it in a few seconds.

Hindi ko naman napigilan na ngumiti. I could smell her perfume and hair — a sweet scent of berries and vanilla. It was new, but also very her and I love every single note of her fragrance.

I smiled nervously.

"Hi".

"I have your sweater as promised", a smirk appeared on her face.

"I'll go ahead, ladies. Thanks for the party, Rab— Manda....", Celeste nodded before heading to the unit elevators, leaving me with the gorgeous Thai woman.

Her warm hand slid into mine. "So.....how was the party?"

How can I not like the feeling of her hand?

"It's......" I shrugged. "It was good....thanks for sending a video".

"Did you like it?", she grinned. I nodded despite the guilt in me that was crippling our progress together.