-13-

Three weeks later

"Update?" Cheryl asked through the phone while her eyes were locked on her laptop.

"Boss, good feedback."

"Okay?"

"Well, she's moving faster than I expected. She and Randy are getting along pretty great and from Clement herself, Randy invited her to a dinner which is happening tonight. I guess, from there, she'll try to invade his space. It's just...a little dangerous, but I'll make sure to track her location, of course."

"Listen, Liza...don't you dare let that man scratch her skin, do you hear me? I'll make all of you pay if that happens, I swear."

"Of course, CM. When did I ever let you down?"

"Okay...go back to work."

***

Meanwhile, inside Randy's office...

Toni laughed demurely, palming her mouth. "That's funny," she said, still sitting across from him.

"You've laughed a lot just this afternoon, huh? I can totally see your happiness when you're with me," he said, coolly. "I'll make it turn into happy tears later. I mean- you know."

Toni grinned fakely. "Well, boss. Gotta go back to my desk. I need to finish some reviews." She smiled before she got up but on her way to the door, Randy stood in front to block her.

"What about," he paused, walking forward while Toni stepped back a few times, "you stay a few more minutes to hear my offer?"

Toni smirked and stopped moving back when her hands reached the table. "What about?"

He smirked. "Well, like what I've said days ago. You deserve better than being a manager."

"So...what do you want me to be?" Toni asked provokingly as she slightly tilted her head.

Randy traced his fingers from Toni's left arm, slowly passing through her biceps, and neck until it reached her chin, holding it gently. "You know my assistant, Katrina?"

"Yeah?" Toni raised her eyebrows.

Randy stepped forward, half an inch close to her, so Toni placed her left hand on his sleeve. "She's not performing very well these days...so I think of replacing her with you."

"Oh..."

"What do you say?" he asked, putting down his hand.

"Well...that'll be an honor. Thank you."

He winked and Toni smirked. After a few seconds of staring at each other, he started to lean in for a kiss but Toni moved her face away, to the left, and held his cheek with her right hand.

"Not here, boss. See you later," she rasped in his ear before moving past him, leaving him high and dry.

"See you later," he said, so Toni turned to smile before closing the door.

••

"Liza, can you meet me in the women's room, please?" Toni anxiously called through her earpiece, pacing around inside the comfort room.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be there in a minute."

Toni exhaled, palming her forehead as she looked at herself in the mirror wearing her office clothes.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," she mumbled, bending her body forward on the sink, head low.

"Hey," Liza greeted as she opened the door.