-26-

5:10 pm

"Hey, sexy," Cheryl, with a cup of coffee and a paper bag of macaroons, greeted Toni inside her office, sitting across the computer.

"Hi." Toni stood up and welcomed the redhead with a kiss. Just a small, but heavy sigh from her was obvious.

"What's wrong?" Cheryl asked, placing the cup and the bag on the table. "Don't lie, okay?"

Toni exhaled. "I've been thinking... Like,  send my apologies to Coffee Club? I've been feeling guilty since that conversation with Jules last week."

Cheryl scoffed, looking away. "And what would you tell them? That I took you and almost killed you and now we're together? That'll be lovely, won't it?" she replied, turning around.

"Babe." Toni followed. "I'm going to shade the truth a little. I just want them to know that I'm sorry for my absence without a word."

"It doesn't matter anymore. Why can't you move on?!" Cheryl said, irritated.

"Why are you yelling?" Toni replied. "You were okay just a second ago."

Cheryl looked down, hands on her hips. "Shit. I'm sorry."

"Do you wanna tell me something?"

"Nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes... Okay, fine. I'm trying to act positive because I don't wanna bother you, but I guess I can't. The yacht thing is gonna have its delay and I'm fucking spending millions for nothing."

Toni playfully pinched Cheryl's nose before palming her left cheek. "You'll get through it, okay? You just need, maybe, a break?"

Cheryl shook her head. "I don't know. I made sure everything is going well then this fucking— whatever. I'm sorry for yelling."

"It's okay," Toni muttered.

"About your idea, go for it." Cheryl pinched her nose, anxious. "That's a good one."

"Really?"

"Hmm." Cheryl rubbed her neck, looking down. "I'll drive you there, okay?"

"Sure." Toni smiled.

"Come here." Cheryl extended her right arm and took Toni's left to pull her in a hug and soft kiss. "It's a good thing you're patient enough to handle my temper."

Toni chuckled. "No biggie. By the way... Tabitha called me last night and... She wants to meet you."

Cheryl gulped.

"I mean— don't worry. I said you can't 'cause you're busy. It's all good."

"No. I'm going. Where?"

Toni smirked. "Are you sure?"

"Mm-hmm. Where?"

"At my Uncle's house. For discretion?"

"Does she know? About... Uh..." Cheryl raised her eyebrows politely, trying to sens a cue.

Toni nodded, demure. "Sorry. She's the only person I rant to whenever I escape the house. Before."

"Oh shit," Cheryl muttered, sniggering. "I'm sure she knows how much of a bitch I am."

Toni laughed. "She sure does."

"So, I'll meet the kids too, right?"

"Do you want to? I mean, they already know you. I've told them."

"Yeah, sure. I'm a little nervous and awkward, but sure. We'll shop for them first. What do they like? Food? Clothes or something that-"

"Babe, relax." Toni chuckled, rubbing her sleeve. "Just snacks. Pizza or donuts will be fine."