-43-

Toni ran her way to the basement clinic. Her eyes and face were filled with tears symbolizing the overflowing joy her chest was floating on.

She opened the door in a rush and found the boys standing by the bed. When she looked around, she saw Timothy sitting on the couch with his ignorant mood and Brandon intently glaring at her.

She discarded them. All she wanted was to meet her face. Cheryl's. When the boys noticed that she arrived, they moved to the side to give her the full sight.

As soon as she saw her side profile, she smiled. She slowly walked to her, her hopeful heart was jumping on the carpet of clouds.

Cheryl gave her a soft look.

"Uh, I think," Archie said, "we should give them privacy."

Jones and Sawyer nodded.

Archie looked at Timothy.

"Sir, can we? They need to talk," he said politely.

Timothy was supposed to say something, but when he looked at Cheryl whose face was pleading, he agreed by leaving the room with his son.

"We'll be outside," Jones said to Cheryl and Toni.

While they were leaving, Toni retained her eyes on Cheryl. Lovingly intimate.

"Hey," Toni whispered while wiping her tears. "I'm so happy you're back. I missed you."

Cheryl glanced at her and looked down. She feebly smiled as a reply instead of using her voice.

"Uhm, how are you feeling?" Toni smiled. "Do you uh... wanna do or need something or like... Anything. You name it."

Cheryl shook her head.

Toni licked her lips anxiously.

"Can you talk?" She asked softly. "I... Miss your voice, too."

Cheryl tenderly looked at Toni whose eyes were streaming tears.

"Uh," Cheryl husked and gulped, "I'm fine."

Toni sighed.

"Okay," she mumbled. "If you need anything, I'll be here. I'm sorry that this has to happen to you. This is my fault. I'm really sorry."

Cheryl looked down and slightly shook her head.

"It's... Not your fault," she replied, almost whispering. "It's okay."

Toni couldn't resist, so she held Cheryl's right hand and kissed its knuckles delicately. Cheryl was surprised about it, but she didn't say a word.

"I love you," Toni said and sniffled. "Thank you for staying."

"Hmm. Tiring," Cheryl mumbled, avoiding Toni's line.

Toni exhaled through her nose and held her hand tighter but gently.

"Everything's gonna be fine," she reassured with a delicate smile.

"Uhm..." Cheryl removed her hand off hers. It absolutely hurt Toni in a way that she gave a silent gaze.

"... I wanna rest. Maybe... Can you leave the room?"

Toni sadly nodded. "Yeah, of course."

She stood up and added, "If you need anything, just call me."

Cheryl didn't reply but closed her eyes.

"What happened?" Archie asked as soon as Toni walked out.

Toni exhaled, looking down and walking to him.

"She asked me to go out," she replied sadly. "What are the findings, Archie?"