Elijah's Mind in Overdrive

Elijah's answer seemed to stick in his throat as his mind reeled over what Klaus had said to him. His mind raced as he tried to understand what it meant. He sat, seemingly frozen on the couch, the nearly untouched glass of bourbon in front of him. Elijah didn't even notice when Damon came back and stared at him for a moment with a raised brow before heading off to bed. The sun was beginning to creep over the horizon when Elijah was beginning to understand what Klaus had meant.

Thinking about the events of the past centuries, Klaus was always the one to whisk the siblings away just in time to avoid Mikael and most dangers. Sure a good part of that meant keeping them in coffins with a dagger in their hearts, but it still meant they were out of harm's way.

Even the drive to break the curse locking away his wolf side was for the protection of the family. It gave Klaus a more sound mind knowing he had more power to protect them. Then everything Klaus had done to reclaim New Orleans as theirs. All to give them a place to call home. Elijah understood now why his brother acted rashly at times.

He had done everything he could to protect them, even if it meant being the bad guy, and all anyone had done was plot to kill him. All Klaus really ever had was Isadora. In the last few years, Elijah guessed Klaus had gone and let Damon in a bit as well. As Damon's situation wasn't too different from Klaus'. Both were nearly shunned by their families despite doing everything they could to protect them.

Elijah thought back to the forever and always promise that he, Klaus, and Rebekah had made. He had always felt that he had upheld that promise, but now he wasn't so sure. Klaus had always been there to protect the family, but in return, all he got was further pushed from the family. It wasn't hard for Elijah to understand why Klaus had never said anything about it until now. Nearly everything in the past had been used against him. Elijah guessed that Klaus has ceased to care about that anymore. He doubted that Klaus was trusting him enough to let him in a bit more. Not after everything that had happened.