Chapter 47: Making a Point.

Dedicated to @orangepanda01 :)

______________________________________________

Chapter 47: Making a Point.

Skye's POV

        "Politics are a tedious thing, Ms. Noelle. I don't know how much experience you have on the subject, but I'll assume that not much. Unfortunately, I have been a part of The Council for a great amount of years and therefore, have expectations and responsibilities bestowed on me from the other members and especially, from the Head of Council.  Zayn is a good leader, most people follow and respect him, myself included. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with all of his choices and decisions," at this part, the Fey Queen paused, both talking and walking. I had been walking alongside her but was so focused on what she was saying that I hadn't realized that she had led us away from the rest of the "ball" and towards a more secluded corner, behind a wide and tall Greek-like marble column that was one of the 8 that were supporting the building's structure.

When understanding from her words hit me, I hesitated as I looked at her young-looking face. "I'm assuming that bringing me here is one of the decisions that fall under that category," I said, inquiring, even though I knew the answer.

She shrugged and the gesture was so child-like and so careless, that for a split second, I forgot that she was actually a very old and powerful creature. "It's nothing personal against you. I would hate for you to think that. I confess, everyone on the council is particularly surprised at the obvious interest our Head of Council has taken on you. Few actually understand his motives, most of them question it. I don't fall on either side, whatever reasons he has, those are his own and his alone. But having you brought here does intrigue me. I know you are in a perilous position, being protected by such an important political figure in the supernatural community only puts a bigger target on your head. Of course, Zayn knows this and decided to take riskier methods".

        "You mean, bringing me here," I stated once again.

The Fey Queen smiled, and it was so brilliant that I had to look away. "Indeed, Ms. Noelle. I would never deny him any aid I could provide. It is my duty as a council member to make his job easier, but you need to understand, it's been almost 800 years since a non-fey being has stepped on Winter Garden. My people are bewildered and restless. I can provide safety from the dangers of the human world, but I cannot guaranty you safety from mine. You and your escorts need to maintain a low profile during your stay. If something goes wrong, I cannot and will not help you get out of it. If it comes down to it, I will have no choice but to take the side of my people. You do understand that, don't you?"

        "Of course", I said. I gave her my most brilliant smile, "It's politics".

        "Exactly". She raised a wine glass filled with something that did not look like wine, "I'm glad we're on the same page".

~

As I returned to my caretakers, Harry's anxious expression subsided. "What did she want?" he asked.

        "To warn me," I divulged.

        "About what?" Frederick interjected.

I shrugged a little, as if it were not big deal. "Her people and the strong possibility that they'll try to look for trouble as long as we're here".

Frederick rubbed his face with his hand, exasperated.

        "For real? What is wrong with these people? It's not like we're here killing their offspring or something," he mumbled.

I suppressed a chuckle.

A phone began ringing then and I looked at the two men in front of me, until Harry pulled out his cellphone and excused himself as he walked a few feet away so that he could answer.