Chapter 50: Moments.

Dedicated to @meowtainfalls :)

__________________________________________________

A/N: Holy Shit. chapter 50 already? Wow. This wouldn't be possible without all of your support. So thank you! I hope I can continue to entertain you. I'm glad we're in this journey together. Also, I know we are all in pain and suffering but there's one thing to remember, we are all in this together. We need to support each other and get through it. Please take care of yourselves... been hearing very sad things. Eat, sleep and stay healthy. Please!

__________________________________________________

Chapter 50: Moments.

Skye's POV

Stillness. Numbness. Peace.

Calm settled in my chest, even while the fog began clearing in my head. Light seemed to awaken all around me, first gradually, then swiftly, until I groaned with discomfort at the brightness. When memories about all of that I had been enduring resurfaced, I pushed myself up to a sitting position, searching frantically for a familiar face. I found one right next to me and my heart seemed to take a leap in its place.

"Zayn," I breathed.

His golden rimmed eyes were watching me with concern, but as I said his name out loud, he smiled and sat down on the bed. The mattress sunk under his weight. I was still looking at him when he raised an arm, to offer me a space close to him. I moved slowly, for my body was sore and tense, from all the pain from before. But I pulled myself closer to him and I rested my head on the side of his chest while he hung his arm around my shoulders. We both let out a breath at the same time, as if this had taken us both a lot of effort. It took me physical effort to complete the motion, but I knew it was something stronger for Zayn and whatever he was dealing with inside of him.

We both stayed in silence for a few minutes, just enjoying the warmth we provided for each other. But I had to ask him, I needed to know.

"Why are you here?" I questioned.

He said nothing at first, but then he sighed, "I just couldn't handle it... being somewhere else while you were in pain. It was driving me crazy. So I spoke with the Queen and asked for a special kind of permission so that I could enter Winter Garden and be by your side. You were delirious when I got here, and God I just, I didn't know what to do. Thankfully, you passed out not long after". And put us both out of our misery. The thought came to me like a quiet echo in my mind. I froze, but relaxed when I remembered that I had slightly opened up the mental barrier that kept other people's thoughts out of my head. I hadn't closed it after the training session, with me being concerned with the amount of pain I was in, and all that. So it was natural that Zayn, with his guard down, was able to share his thoughts with me, though I couldn't tell if he had done it on purpose or not.

"Tell me about my father," I said. I felt my own surprise when the words slipped out of my mouth, but somehow, I didn't retract myself because this is what I really wanted. After what I had gone through in the past couple of weeks, I felt like an entirely different person than I was the first time we spoke of him. I knew that this time, I would be able to handle the rest, for I had grown in strength, both physically and mentally.

Zayn was quiet. I couldn't even hear his breathing. I wondered if he was trying to develop an excuse to avoid having this conversation. For a while it seemed like he was stalling. His silence was driving me insane and before I could urge him to talk, he turned his head to look at me. He didn't say anything at all, just brought up the palm of his hand to cup my cheek, while his beautiful eyes glinted with tempest. I stared right back and suddenly found myself completely forgetting about my request and wanting to get lost in the storm of his eyes instead.