Chapter 35: It's All About Safety.

Dedicated to @Armybratt123

________________________________________

Chapter 35: It's All About Safety.

Skye's POV

My eyes moved towards the slim figure who entered through the set of doors. Her long brown hair was straight, falling around her face, and her soft brown eyes held mine.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her in surprise.

Jessica smiled brilliantly.

"And here I was thinking that you would be happy to see me, girl".

I rolled my eyes at the slightly sarcastic tone she was using.

"I am happy, but extremely confused. I haven't seen you since the night at Somber. When you left me alone with a bunch of strangers, might I add," I said with friendly sass. With this, I subtly shifted my gaze towards Zayn. He was already watching me when I looked at him. His gaze fell to the ground momentarily at being caught, but then he lifted it up to meet mine again, the hint of a smile gracing his lips.

"Handsome strangers though, babe. And as far as I can tell, they've been treating you good," my friend and ex-coworker said with a wink. I smiled as I took a few steps forwards to meet her with a hug. Once this one ended, I stood there in silence, not sure how to proceed.

"So"

"I'm Fey," Jessica blurted.

I froze on my spot at this confession. My eyes quickly found hers and they were wide and showed only sincerity. I wrapped my arms around myself as I took a deep breath.

"Okay," I finally said.

The word sounded calm and casual. I surprised myself at the fact that since this whole thing started, I had somehow found a way to receive unbelievable pieces of information and keep my shit together... you know, for the most part. Not that I kept my cool the whole time, I'm not an idiot. You try meeting fucking werewolves, half demons, vampires and so on, and pretend is not a big deal. I should get a damn award for how I've handled everything, considering.

"Okay?" Jessica's voice sounded confused and unsure.

"Sure," I said, "It explains a lot actually. The fact that you insisted on going to Somber, where I met Zayn and the others, who had been dying to meet me and had been waiting for the 'right moment'. It all makes sense now. You and I met so that you could help them meet me in a casual setting,".

Jessica smiled at my deductions.

"I told you she was smart," she told Zayn with pride, who did not try to hide the smile he was directing at me. A smile so warm and intimate that a blush crept its way to my cheeks. I looked away first.

"So I'm guessing there's a particular reason why you're here right now, Jess?" I asked.

She nodded hesitantly, eyeing Zayn as if expecting him to explain.

"I already told you that you can't stay here anymore. It isn't safe. Jessica is here to take you with her," Zayn spoke gently. I gave him a hard look and he sighed. "Skye please," he started.

"I already said no," I argued.

Jessica stepped to the side and I looked at her, "Uh, don't mind me. I'm going to step out for a minute to let you guys discuss this. In the meantime, I'm gonna go and check me out some serious eye candy that I spotted on my way here. Carry on," she quickly made herself sparse, and left us alone in the library.