Chapter 38: Second Starting Point.

Dedicated to @emymarieee

_____________________________________________

Chapter 38: Second Starting Point.

Skye's POV

Anyone watching me would say I was enthralled, and in reality, I was. This hidden winterland was like something straight out of a fairy-tale. The whole scenery, the motion of it all, was breathtaking. As I trudged through the snow behind Jessica, I marveled at the sight of small delicate snowflakes; which came in different shapes and patterns. I watched them fall on everything, trees, plants, the ground... with the type of grace that should only be accomplished by something with life of its own. Like some type of magic.

"Cool, huh?" this was Harry talking beside me. I glanced at him, holding his green gaze with mine. He was smiling, so I returned the smile.

"Cool, indeed," I replied.

"More like lame," I heard from behind us. I rolled my eyes at Frederick's words and continued ahead, trailing after Jessica. 

There were trees, everywhere, and they were all covered in a white blanket of snow. As we found our way to a hidden entrance through the forest, an illuminated path showed us our way. The light came from something twinkling in the trees. At first glance, I thought they were Christmas lights or something of the sorts, but as I studied them more carefully, I realized that they looked more like tiny stars, hovering above us, guiding us to where we had to go. I was mesmerized. 

"If the rest of Winter Garden is this beautiful, I might never want to leave," I said to no one in particular. Jessica was farther up ahead so she didn't hear me, but my caretakers did. Harry said nothing, but I felt a warm hand on my shoulder and I looked at my other side, and Frederick's blue eyes were looking at me with concern. 

"That's the whole point. Don't fall for it, Skye. Fey people are masters of illusion. They'll do anything to lure in new victims," he was dead serious. His warning shook me to the bone. I nodded my understanding, and his hand left my shoulder, the warmth slipping away almost instantly, replaced by the cool in the air. 

An awkward silence quickly spread and I decided to dissipate it with a light joke.

"I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for you guys,".

"Dead, probably," Frederick muttered from beside. I turned to him, glaring. He was smiling.

"Just kidding... sort of," he said, bumping my shoulder with his.

He wasn't kidding. He was right. Both the men beside me had saved my life, more than once. I would truly be dead if it wasn't for them. 

"Thank you," I said quietly. 

I felt both of them looking at me. Frederick spoke first.

"For what?"

"You know," was all I said, looking at him and then at Harry. One of them nodded, but they both stayed silent. They knew I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.

That's the last we spoke as we continued our journey.

After another ten minutes of walking, a clearing opened up ahead and after we crossed the treeline that connected to it, a huge palace appeared right before our eyes. And when I say appeared, I mean it. At first there was nothing, and after I blinked, there it was. 

The whole structure seemed almost translucent, as if it could disappear at a moment's notice. Jessica finally slowed down. 

"This... this is the Crystal Court," she announced. She was smiling from ear to ear, as if I could guess where we were. Sadly, I wasn't that ingenious. The blank look on my face must have given me away, because she explained with a little bit of disappointment in her voice.