Chapter 16: True Nature.

Dedicated to @adorablemalik

_______________________________

Chapter 16: True Nature.

Skye's POV

"Goddammit, Skye. Would you fucking concentrate? We've been here for hours and you're not any closer to doing what I asked of you this morning. Just put those damn mental barriers up. It's not rocket science!" Frederick has had enough of me, I presumed. For once, I was the one smiling, because he was the one who was angry while I sat back and enjoyed the show.

"Stop smiling! I swear to God if you don't give me something, anything to show me you're really trying, I will burn down this whole fucking forest and watch you writhe in pain from the blow you'll receive afterwards," he snapped. At this I glanced at him, his words luring me to attention.

"Why would I be in pain if you burned the forest down?" I asked deliberately. Frederick took a deep breath.

"Oh, so I finally have your attention?" he asked sarcastically.

"I'm a bit distracted, I'm sorry. Just tell me why, alright?"

And he did.

"It's simple really. You're connected to the earth, you draw energy from it. But nature always keeps a balance, and while it gives you what you need to survive, it can also take away from you for it to survive as well. Therefore, If I burn all this trees, the earth would take some of your life energy to preserve its own. So that new plants and trees may grow here once again. It wouldn't kill you, but it would be painful enough to leave you in bed for days," his tone started out bored and in a monotone, up until the last part. Then he just sounded amused; probably picturing doing this to me.

"Do you hate me?" the words fell out of my mouth too quickly for me to stop them. Frederick who had been smiling, suddenly wasn't.

"What?" he asked, frowning slightly.

"Zayn told me about my father... and your brother. He thinks you hate him... and probably me as well. Is he right?" I hadn't meant to be so straightforward. But at the same time, why couldn't I be? People are always expecting others to take initiative, or happily resign to not having the answers they want. I don't want to be like that. I want to have an active part on finding out the things I want to know. I mean, I can't expect Frederick or others to give me the truth just because I ask it, but at least I can give it a try. It's still better than seating down, waiting for nothing to happen.

Even though I was questioning him, I wasn't expecting him to answer. Not really. So I was surprised when he did.

"I don't hate you. I just don't like you," he finally said.

"But Zayn said-"

"Zayn thinks he knows everything. He doesn't. He just thinks he does," his voice was tinted by bitterness. The type of bitterness that came out after years of harboring pain, anger and frustration.

An awkward silence seemed to grow to life between us, and I was afraid of saying something that might set him off.

"I'm sorry about your brother," I said in barely a whisper. Frederick's eyes were glued to the forest. He didn't bother looking at me.

"It was a long time ago. It doesn't matter anymore," he said. His voice was devoid of any emotion. Empty.

And I felt for him then, because I knew that it did matter to him and it always would. But he was too proud to ever admit that outloud to anyone, especially towards me, the daughter of the man that got his brother killed.