Chapter 21: Born of Evil.

Skye's POV

As we trudged through the forest's dirt path on our way back to the mansion a question popped in my head.

"Wait, so that night at the desert is when you were a wolf. I thought the whole thing had been a nightmare but it wasn't?" I asked, confused. Louis shook his head.

"No, it was real alright," he replied.

"How did I get there? I remember being at a bar where a creep attacked me and then I was just at that desert. The whole thing has been on my mind for days, eating at me," I confessed.

Louis sighed, "It's like we explained the night we all met you at Somber. You're a psion. You have a lot more abilities than just reading minds. We don't exactly know what you're capable of since all psions posses different skills. But if I had to take a guess, I would assume that you teleported to the desert because your mind was trying to take you to a safe place".

"But that's assuming that you have the power of psychokinesis or telekinesis," Liam added hurriedly.

"The ability to manipulate matter by the power of thought," I finished quietly.

"I'm surprised you know the proper definition. Most people assume that it only works on humans," Louis voice was filled with approval. I smiled.

"I think I read it on one of mom's books," I replied. I had always thought it was weird that my mother owned books about psychics and aura reading; now it all made sense. They were for me. They had always been for me.

I hadn't given myself time to think about my mother's role in this whole thing. It was hard to imagine her being a part of this supernatural world, knowing that one day, I would be a part of it too, but until then keeping me in the dark. I wonder, how she felt about that. But thinking about it is pointless, because she's gone and now I'll never know. The thought made me unbearably sad.

Thinking about my mom usually ended up with me getting hit by a wave of nostalgia so hard that it almost knocked me to my knees. This threatened to happen now. I hadn't realized that I had stopped walking until I noticed both Louis and Liam looking back at me, their eyes showing their concern. Avoiding their questioning gazes, I took a deep breath and marched along, leaving them behind to follow.

~

After a shower, a small meal and a couple of hours of Louis driving me insane, I gave up on waiting for the others to come back. At the first opportunity I found, I slipped away from the watchful eyes of the two werewolves and found my way outside through the front entrance. I sat down on the first step of the mansion's porch -if you could even call it a porch; the word didn't really do this place justice. Then I found myself thinking about the fact that no words could describe everything that I had learned in the past 72 hours. Nothing was the same as it was last week and I knew it would never go back to the way it used to be.

I could try to run, I told myself, but I would probably die if I did.

Deep down I knew that wasn't the only reason I wouldn't run off. There were too many questions, too many things yet for me to learn.

And then there was Zayn.

I knew he would never allow for me to just leave, not without protection. To be honest, I'm glad he cares so much about my safety and well being. Just the thought made my stomach flutter.

I smiled to myself as I closed my eyes.

This is ridiculous. I'm too old for these damn butterflies.