Chapter 48: True Potential.

Dedicated to @tzambory :)

__________________________________________

Chapter 48: True Potential.

Skye's POV

With eyes closed, I took a deep breath. The smell of fresh snow lingered in the air, and yes, I do think snow has a particular smell. I had never thought it strange because it was something I noticed and thought everyone did too, but now, knowing that I'm an Earth Warden, I think the reason I can notice subtle things like these is because of my connection to nature itself.

As I opened my eyes, I looked up at the sky. It was clear, and the sun was just starting to peek through the horizon, spreading light into the darkness of the night, and welcoming a new day. I stretched my arms above my head and yawned not so subtly.

"I'm tired," I mumbled in my groggy morning voice.

"You'll get over it," Frederick replied instantly. His response was so quick that it felt like he must have been waiting for me to complain.

I groaned. "I wanna go back to sleep," I said, dragging out the last word.

Frederick's blue eyes found mine and he shook his head and glanced at Harry.

"Dude, help me out here," he pleaded.

Harry's eyes were barely open and he was blinking really fast as if to keep himself awake. "I'm with Skye on this one. I'm not really a morning person. Let alone a -way-before-sunrise person."

"Man, you guys are lazy". That's all he said, and then the conversation was over. Frederick then turned from judgy friend, to focused instructor, in the split of a second.

"The reason why you're here so early, is because I had an idea last night and can't wait to put it in practice," he explained.

Instead of whining some more about sleep, like I had planned to do before, I found myself curious at what he was getting at. When I said nothing, he took this as a sign that he could continue.

"Alright, let's put it like this. So far, we've been trying to teach you to take control of your abilities individually. Of course, you've been struggling with it a bit, and I don't mean to offend you by that," he added the last part quickly before I could argue. "I think the reason you've been struggling is because we've been going about it all wrong. You're a hybrid, you should use that to your advantage".

I was opening my mouth to say that it was absurd, but then paused to actually think about it. "Do you mean like using both abilities at the same time?"

Frederick nodded enthusiastically. He had every right to be, it was a pretty good idea so far.

"You know how no matter what we tell you, you can only use your Earth magic through your hands? Well, I think it's because we've been trying to teach you the physical aspect of being a warden. Physical is the only way I know because it's how I was taught. But, you are a psion, which means that you have psychic abilities that I don't own myself. So I was thinking, that instead of having you continue to try to use your earth magic through your whole body, to have you use your mind to control it instead".

I could feel my mind racing at the possibilities if this could actually work. "You're a genius!" I exclaimed.

Frederick's mouth formed an honest smile. "So you like the idea?" he asked.

I nodded. "It's brilliant!"

His smile widened and in the brightening day, I could even see a slight blush in his cheeks. He hid it quickly though, turning around to look at Harry. "So, do you think it's possible?" he asked.