Chapter 30: Fear.

Dedicated to @dangerousLina

____________________________________________________

Chapter 30: Fear.

Skye's POV

Sleeping was almost an impossible task that night. My warden marks ached fervently on my back. I wasn't able to shut an eye. So instead, I laid on my stomach and stared at the clock on the bedside table, watching the minutes slowly pass by.

When the red numbers indicated that it was 6:13 in the morning, I dragged myself out of bed and walked to the bathroom. I opened the faucet and watched the water fall before cupping some of it on my hands and throwing it on my face.

After brushing my teeth I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I hated looking at myself lately. It seems like every time there's a mirror in front of me, there's a young woman staring at me, but it doesn't feel like it's me. I know it's all in my mind, because in fact it is me, but I've come to realize that at this point, I don't even know who I am anymore. I'm a stranger to myself.

Yes, I know more about myself and my parents than I ever did before. But the more answers I get, the more questions I have. And at the same time, the more afraid I become of learning more truths. I know Zayn hasn't finished his story about my parents. Every day I wake up wanting to ask him to tell me the rest, but then I convince myself that there is time for that later. So I keep putting it off again and again. What if there is no such thing as enough time? Or later? What if I'm just wasting it away and by the time I'm actually ready to face the truth, it will be too late? The thought chilled me to the bone. I hugged myself when a chill rocked my body.

I looked away from the blue eyes staring back at me and grabbed a towel to dry my face with. Then I changed into a pair of faded blue jeans and a white tank-top. It still wasn't seven, but I knew once I walked out of that door, everyone would be awake. I don't know if they don't sleep or if they're just early risers, but they are always awake before I wake up. Which I guess it's a good thing considering that there's an army of werewolves being trained just to kill me to get to Zayn and then take over the council.

I shook my head at that.

It's hard to believe I'm thinking of these things as if they are a normal occurrence. As if I were used to living like this. Which I'm not. Less than three weeks ago I didn't even know about this supernatural world. At least not that it existed. All I knew was what I read in fiction books and saw in bad horror movies. But now it's real and I'm living it.

Get over it Skye, this is your life now.

Right when I reached for the doorknob, a knock rattled the door. I jumped a little but quickly took a breath and opened it for whoever was at the other side.

It was Zayn.

My already startled heart only began beating faster. It was so loud in my ears.

I looked at Zayn's face and forced myself to smile. He did the same.

"Relax, would you? The sound of your heart can be really distracting," he followed this with a wink and his smile turned wider. I took a deep breath, trying to regain calm.

"I was about to walk out when you knocked. You startled me, that's all," I said.

"We both know that's not the only reason your heart skipped a beat." Zayn's smile disappeared as he took a step closer, his eyes looking at my own unblinking before they stared at my lips.

From where I was I could see the ring of his eyes turning red. To this I smiled.

"And we both know there's only one reason why the beat of my heart is so distracting to you," I said, my voice a little breathless under the intensity of his gaze.