twenty-three

this is kind of a short one but I didn't know how to continue it so here you go lol

Beth's POV

They've definitely started to trust me more because they allowed me and Buck to drive separate to this mission. We had decided to take one of Tony's cars instead of our bikes, so the only time we really fought was over the radio.

And currently, what to eat.

"Literally why can't we just get Mexican food?"

"Because we're getting Chinese food."

"We just had Chinese food not that long ago!"

He shrugs. "Okay, what's your point?"

I grimace at him. "Point is, I want a damn quesadilla and last I checked, you can't get that at Panda Express."

"Nope. But you can get sesame chicken and that's what I want."

We stop at a red light and glare at each other.

I break the silence and speak. "What if we go to that Japanese place on the corner and get sushi instead?"

He thinks about it for a second. "Deal."

"Good. Now go, the lights green."

He turns his head away from me and looks at the light, pressing the gas. "How the hell did you know that? You were looking at me."

I laugh a little. "I thought we already went over the fact that I'm a magician."

I can basically hear his eyes roll back in his head.

A few minutes later, we're walking into a place called Haru Sushi. We're seated at a table and we both get a beer and a water while we look at the menu.

I take a sip of my beer then look at him. "Want to do something fun?"

"Not particularly."

I laugh. "Let's order for each other. Just point at it on the menu so that we don't know what we're getting until we get it."

He purses his lips. "Fine. But if I hate it, you're paying."

I smile. "I'll pay anyways. I have my debit card numbers memorized. Do you not?"

He rolls his eyes. "Yeah, because I use a debit card."

I throw my head back. "Oh my god. James, sweetheart, get with the times."

He smirks at me. "I know you call me that to get on my nerves, but I actually like it."

"What, sweetheart?" I take another sip of my beer.

"No, James. It feels more personal. Everyone calls me Bucky."

"Do you not like being called Bucky?"

"No, of course I do. It's just.. okay look at it this way. Back when I was younger, Steve was the only person who called me Bucky. I was James to everyone. So, Bucky was more personal. Now, it's like Bucky is my actual name and James is my nickname. Does that make sense?"

I nod. "Yeah, kinda."

A woman walks over to our table. "Hi! I'll be your waitress tonight. What can I get you?"

I start. "Okay, he wants this. Two of them." I point to the menu at the California roll.

She nods and writes that down. Then she turns to Bucky. "And for you? Or I guess, her?"

He smiles and points down to his menu. "She would like two of these."

She smiles a little and writes it down. "Alright, should be out in a couple minutes. I'll take your menus."