CHAPTER 9 Siblings

Ana and Alex were led to the cafeteria by the guards for their lunch break

They went through some large double doors in their lines and walked to opposite sides of the cafeteria to get food in the chow lines. 

They grabbed food trays and waited in line to be given their food.

Alex picked up a tray and a fork. 

Then he watched as the other kids in line in front of him were given food by older kid servers. 

When it was his turn to get food, Alex saw the Young Guard stop the server saying—

—"Not Him. Look at his arm, he doesn't get anything today." 

The Young Guard looked at Alex and said—

—"Get out of line." 

Alex leered at the Young Guard and got out of line. 

He walked to a table where Eli was sitting. 

Alex sat next to Eli and was steaming mad thinking about the Young Guard. 

Alex looked at the fork that was on Eli's tray and grabbed it.

"I'm borrowing this for a second." said Alex.

"What for?" asked Eli.

Alex ignored the question and went walking quickly toward the Young Guard while gripping the fork in his hand. 

He got about halfway toward him when Rob stepped in front of him and stopped him.

"What do you think you're gonna do with that?" asked Rob.

"Get out of my way." said Alex walking around him.

Then Rob grabbed Alex's right shoulder and punched him in the stomach. 

Rob grabbed Alex's wrist where his bandage was and Alex grimaced as Rob ripped the fork out of his hand. 

Then Rob grabbed Alex and threw him on the floor. 

Alex fell on the ground and Rob walked over to him.

"Don't you have any sense what you are doing?" asked Rob.

"What do you care what I do?"

"You don't have the option to throw your life away, you aren't so lucky."

"What are you even talking about?"

"If you were an only child and had no relatives you could do whatever you wanted. But since you have a sister, you can't. You, as her brother, have to protect her, unless she gets married, then she's not your responsibility anymore. But right now, who's gonna protect her if you're not here?"

"She can take care of herself."

"No she can't. And that's not the point."

"What makes you the person to say what the right thing to do is?"