CHAPTER 10 Yumi

Yumi Sawano grew up in the East part of the city with her parents Yasuo and Hiromi Sawano

As Yumi was growing up, her father Yasuo taught her some martial arts so that she would know how to defend herself. 

When Yumi started to get older, her mother wanted to get her father to tone down the fighting training. 

Her Mom wanted Yumi to focus more on her femininity and not on masculine activities. 

Her Mom and Dad would get into arguments about which one would be better for her in the future.

Her Mom argued that—

—"She's a girl, she should be increasing her value as a lady to a guy she can marry so she can start a family. And not be fighting and getting bruises and scars that'll only lower her value to guys. And they'll not wanna marry her if she's got scars and bruises from fighting." 

Her Dad argued that—

—"She should know how to defend herself. I wish she didn't 'Need' to know how, but this is the world we live in."

Yumi's mother showed her how to wash her clothes and how to dress and do her hair like a lady. 

She would take her grocery shopping and showed her how to shop. 

ONE DAY, when Yumi was 9 years old. 

After Yumi's father left for work, her Mom took her to one of the shops near the Northern border. 

They walked up to a woman vendor who had a table full of colorful hair clips and hairpins. 

Yumi's Mom picked out a white lotus flower hairpin. 

The flower had a yellow core and it almost looked real. 

Her mother bought the hairpin and showed it to Yumi.

Yumi saw that it was pretty expensive and just smiled at her Mom, who was just smiling with bright eyes. 

Yumi felt guilty that her Mom was spending so much money on such a small extravagant little thing for her even though she really wanted to have it. 

Yumi would always ask her Mother to buy something like that, she just never thought her mother would actually get it for her.

"Kite kudasai. Misete." (Put it on. Let me see how you look.) said Yumi's Mom handing her the lotus flower hairpin that she bought. 

Yumi grabbed the old hairpin she had in her hair and took it off. 

She gave the old hairpin to her Mom and took the new one that her Mom gave her. 

Yumi put her hair in a bun and put the new hairpin in her hair. 

Her Mom smiled and Yumi hugged her and thanked her.