Chapter Twenty

Y/N

I woke up before Stefania, and snuck downstairs to get some fresh air.

I walked out on the back deck, and took a deep breath of the clean air.
"Good morning bella."

I jumped and turned when I heard Daniella speak.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." I apologized.
"I wake up this early every morning. Come, sit. I made espresso." She sat down and patted the chair next to her.
"Grazie." I said as she handed me a cup.

"So. You really love my sister?"
"More than anything. She's helped me through so much, she's a wonderful person. She's the best Mamma to our daughter." I smiled softly.
"I have something to give you." She reached in her pocket and handed me a small box.
"Daniella-"
"It's for Stefania. For when you propose." She whispered with a wink.

I opened the box, and smiled at the beautiful ring inside.
"It was our Mamma's. I was saving it for when a special person comes in my sister's life. I knew her and her ex husband wouldn't last. But, I see the love you have for her in your eyes. I know you would never hurt her."
"Thank you Daniella. This means a lot to me." I reached over and pulled her in a hug.

"What's going on?" Stefania yawned as she walked outside.
Daniella quickly stuffed the box in her jacket pocket and winked at me.
"We're just talking about how amazing you are." I smiled at my girlfriend.

Stefania walked over and sat in my lap. I wrapped my arms around her waist and held her close.
"What time are we going to see Papa?" She asked.
"Visiting hours start in about an hour and a half. I figured we'd go up there then." Daniella said as she sipped her espresso.
"We should take a shower bambina. I need to wash the time zone change away." Stefania told me.

I nodded and we walked upstairs to the bathroom.
I yawned and stripped my shirt off and felt Stefania's arms wrap around me. She pressed gentle kisses on my shoulder.
"Babe, we can't-"
"I need you. I need you right now." She whispered in my ear.

I turned in her arms and pressed a kiss to her lips.
"You'll have to be quiet." I mumbled against her lips.
She nodded and quickly undid the string on my sweatpants, sliding her hand down the front and cupping my mound.
"Fuck." I whispered as she pressed lazy kisses against my neck.
"Hold on." She withdrew her hand, and grabbed her phone. Stefania put on a playlist and turned the volume all the way up while I turned the shower on.

Stefania

I walked out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel and ran into my niece.
"Shit, sorry Vittoria."
"You're welcome." She smirked.
"What am I thanking you for?"
"I sent Daniella to the store. You two are louder than you think you are."
"Shut up!" I whispered with a blush.
Y/N came out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel, "Everything okay?"
"Yes bambina. We were just talking. Let's go get dressed." I grabbed her hand and drug her to the bedroom.

An hour later

We pulled up to the hospital, and got out of the car.
"You okay?" Y/N whispered to me as we followed my sister and niece inside.
I nodded quietly and waited for the elevator to come.
We rode up in silence, each second passing bringing me closer to seeing my Papa.
The elevator gave us a ding, letting us know we were on our floor.

"We're gonna go talk to the doctors. Stefania, you and Y/N head to Papa's room. 445." Daniella said as she pointed to a nearby door.
I nodded, and slowly walked towards his room.

I stopped right outside his door, panic filling my body.
"Hey, I got you." Y/N whispered.
I grabbed her hand and gave it a tight squeeze. I took a deep breath and nodded to her. I walked inside, and saw my Papa lying there in bed watching an old Italian movie.

"Papa." I breathed out.
"Stefania? Oh mio bambina!" He cried out.
I walked over to him and wrapped him in a hug. I couldn't cry. I had to be strong.
"Papa, I missed you." I whispered.
"I missed you bella. Let me look at you."

I stood up and grabbed Y/N's hand again.
"Is this the girl?" He asked.
"Sì. This is Y/N." I gave her a tearful smile.
"Salve, signor Spampinato." She greeted him with a hug.
"She's as beautiful as you said, bambina."

"Grazie." She smiled at him.
"Papa, why didn't you tell me?" I asked as I sat down on the bed.
"I didn't want to worry you." He waved his hand in dismissal.
"I hear I have another granddaughter." He smiled at me.
"Sì. Aurora." I nodded and showed him the picture of her, y/n and I on my lock screen.
"È così bella." He whispered as he stared at her picture.
"It's funny. She looks like your Mamma." He smiled at me.
I wiped away a stray tear and gave him a soft smile.

"Stefania, will you go ask the nurses when my breakfast will be here?"
"Sì Papa. I'll be right back." I got up and squeezed Y/N's hand and walked out of the room.

Y/N

"How are you really feeling sir?" I asked when Stefania walked out of the room.
"I'm fine, bambina. And you don't have to call me sir. You can call me Papa, if you'd like." He smiled at me.
"Stefania is really worried about you."
"She'll be fine. She has you. I sent Stefania away so I could talk to you." He moved the bed so that he was sitting up.

"Are you going to marry my daughter?"
"Uh... y-yes. Soon. Daniella gave me her Mamma's ring this morning." I started picking at my fingers.
"Promise me this. Promise me, that you will always take care of her. That you'll never leave, even when things get hard. Be there for her when I pass."
"Sir- Papa, let's not talk about you passing." I held back tears as I grabbed his hand.
"This won't kill me. I've been dealing with this heart stuff for years. I keep trying to tell them all that, but they seem to think this is my end." He chuckled.

"Your breakfast is coming soon Papa." Stefania said as she walked back into the room.
"Good. Bambina, why don't you show Y/N around the city. Show her everything you love about Italy."
"Papa-" Stefania started.
"It's better than sitting around this hospital room. Go."