Chapter Forty

Y/N
One week later

"Che cosa? No! Stai mentendo! Non può essere!"

I shot up in bed when I heard Stefania shouting. I saw her sitting next to me talking on her phone with tears rolling down her face.
I quickly wrapped my arm around her waist, and she grabbed my hand with her free hand, squeezing it tight.
"Facci sapere quando ci sarà il funerale."

Funerale. Funeral. Someone died.

She hung up the phone and let go of my hand, bringing her hands up to her face and letting out a loud sob.
"Baby, what happened?" I asked softly.
"Papa, h-he-" She choked out.
"Oh Stefania. I'm so sorry." I wrapped both arms around her and held her close.
"Vittoria found him. She- my little nineteen year old niece found him last night."
"What do you need me to do? Do you need me to call anyone?" I gently scratched her head, pulling her to lay down on the bed.
"I just... I don't-" She burrowed her head into the pillow.
"Let me have your phone. I'll call everyone that I can think of."
She reached and handed me her phone.

"Can I be alone for a little bit. Please?" She looked up at me with tears in her eyes.
"Of course. I'll bring you some food here in a little bit." I kissed the top of her head, and got out of bed.
"Hey, I love you." I said before I walked out.
"Ti amo bambina." She mumbled.

I walked out of the bedroom, and into the kitchen where Luna was sitting at the island on her phone.
"Hey, what are you doing up so early?" I asked.
"I couldn't sleep. Is everything okay? I heard yelling." She looked up at me.
"Um... let me talk to you for a second kiddo." I sat down next to her with a sigh.
"What happened?" Luna asked.
"It's Stefania's Dad. He passed away last night, and she's taking it really hard."
"Poor Stefania..." She trailed off.
"She just wants some time alone right now. I gotta make some phone calls for her."
"Is there anything I can do to help?"
"No thanks kiddo. Unless you're fluent in Italian." I gave her a small smile.
"Not even close."

"I'm gonna make some breakfast, and I'll make these calls." I stood up and started pulling stuff out of the fridge.
"Oh, did your tutor send you an email? She said she was going to reach out to you."
"Yeah, she said she'll be at the studio tomorrow at nine."
"Awesome. How do you want your eggs?"
"Scrambled please." Luna got out of the chair and started a pot of coffee.

"Morning Mom." Rory yawned as she walked into the kitchen.
"Morning honey. Did you have a nice sleep?"
"Yeah. Where's Mamma?"
"She's still asleep."
"I'll go wake her up." She turned to walk out of the kitchen.
"Rory, come here for a little bit honey. I need to talk to you."

Rory sat on the chair, and I sat next to her.

"Rory, Mamma is really sad right now. Nonno passed away last night."
"Oh..." She trailed off.
"I'm sorry honey. I know you didn't know him for a long time, but I know you loved your Nonno."
"Can I make Mamma a picture?"
"Of course honey. After breakfast." I squeezed her hand and went back to cooking.

A while later, after I had fed all three kids, I had Xander strapped to me in a chest carrier and put Stefania some breakfast on a plate.

I walked into the bedroom, and sat down the plate and a cup of coffee on the nightstand.
"Baby, I made breakfast." I whispered as I gently rubbed her back.
"I'm not hungry." She sniffled.
"Can you try to eat just a little bit? It'll help keep a headache away."
"I'll try." She turned to me and looked up at me with red puffy eyes.
"I told the kids what happened. They're in Rory's room playing. I'm gonna make those phone calls now, okay?"
She nodded and grabbed my hand.

"I love you." She whispered.
"I love you too." I kissed the back of her hand and squeezed it gently.
"Try to eat and get some sleep. I'll bring some lunch later."

She nodded and pulled the cover closer to her.

I walked out of the room and grabbed both mine and her phone, "Alrighty Xander. You ready to make these calls?" I looked down at him.
He cooed and reached up and pulled my hair gently.

I sat down on the couch, and dialed Daniella's number from my phone.
"Ciao Y/N." Daniella answered with a broken voice.
"Ciao Daniella. I'm sorry about your Papa."
"Grazie. How's Stefania?"
"I just brought her some breakfast. I don't think she'll eat it though. She's just laying in bed."
"I knew she would take it harder than anyone."
"Is there anyone in particular that I need to call? I told her I'd make some phone calls for her."

She gave me a few people that Stefania is close to, and figured they might want to know.

"Thank you Daniella. And please let me know if there's anything I can do for you and Vittoria too."
"Grazie Y/N. I have to call the funeral home, I'll let you know when I know something. Ciao."
"Ciao." I hung up the phone and sighed.

I spent the next hour calling the different people that Daniella had told me. Most of them spoke only Italian, so it was a little difficult to explain.

I tossed both our phones on the couch, and rubbed my face. I never had to deal with this before. I couldn't imagine how Stefania was feeling.

My phone started ringing, and I answered Danielle's FaceTime.
"Hey Dani."
"Hey Y/N can-What's wrong?"
"Stef's Papa passed away last night. She's taking it hard."
"Oh man. I'm so sorry. I know how close they were."
"Yeah. She's having a little alone time right now. I just finished calling everyone that she wanted to be called."
"Do you need us to do anything? Do you want us to take the kids tonight?"
"If you want to, that would be great. I don't know if Luna is ready to stay the night somewhere else, but I can ask her." I got up from the couch, and walked to Rory's room.

"Hey girls. Auntie Dani and Auntie Barrett want to know if you want to stay the night with them tonight."
"Really? Can I?" Luna asked.
"That's up to you kiddo. If you want to you can. They asked if they could have all three of you tonight."
"If you change your mind at any point one of us can always take you home." Danielle spoke up from the phone.
"Yes. It sounds fun." Luna smiled up at me.
"We can be there in thirty minuets to get them?" Danielle said.

"Okay, I'll have them ready. Thanks Dani."
I hung up the phone and put it in my pocket.
"Alright girls. Pack a bag for tonight. Your Aunts will be here in thirty minuets."
"Okay!" Rory got up and grabbed her sleepover bag.

"Luna, you have a bag like Rory's in your closet. Pack some pajamas and clothes for tomorrow, a tooth brush and hair brush."

She nodded and got up and walked to her room.

I had a feeling even without the kids, it was going to be a rough night.

AN: I'm starting to run out of ideas! Anything you all would like to happen??

Also, 10k reads!!! Thank you all so much! I never thought that I'd get to chapter forty, let alone 10k reads