Chapter Twenty-One

Y/N

"Hey babe, our daughter's calling!" I exclaimed as I answered the FaceTime call.
Stefania rushed over from her spot on the beach.
"Hi bambina!" Stefania smiled.
"Mamma! Mom! I miss you guys!" Rory said with a wave.
"We miss you too baby girl. Are you being good for your Aunts?" I asked.
"She's been an angel." Danielle called out from off the screen.
"Hey, I'm gonna go get something out of the car. I'll be right back." Stefania leaned and kissed my cheek before walking off.
"How's her Dad?" Danielle asked as she popped on the screen.
"He's okay. He doesn't want us at the hospital. He demanded that we go sight seeing." I turned to see if Stefania was far enough away.

"Rory, I need to ask you something."
"What's up Mom?"
"You have to keep this a secret. Okay? You too Dani."
They both nodded and I took a deep breath.
"Can I ask your Mamma to marry me?"
"What! Yes!" Rory squealed.
"Oh my God do you have a ring? Are you going to do it there? This is amazing!" Danielle exclaimed.
"I'll take a picture of it and send it to you two later. Stefania's sister gave me her Mamma's ring. I didn't even ask. It's like she knew. Her Papa gave me permission too." I smiled.
"Oh my God this is gonna be awesome!" Rory shouted.

"I love you guys. Stefania's on her way back. Be good baby girl I'll call you later."
Rory and Danielle said their goodbyes and I hung up the phone.
"What was the yelling about?" Stefania asked.
"Rory was excited about the view of the ocean." I smiled at her as she sat down next to me.
"It is beautiful, isn't it? The second most beautiful thing in my view." Stefania smiled at me.
I elbowed her gently and leaned my head on her shoulder.

Six days later

"Papa, we have to go home tomorrow." Stefania said as we sat by his bedside.
"That's fine bambina. I'll be okay. You don't have to worry about me." He patted her hand.

We said our goodbyes, and gave him hugs.
We walked out of the hospital holding hands.
"I have somewhere I want to take you." I gently squeezed her hand.
I called for a taxi, and we got in.
"Bambina, where are we going?" Stefania asked.
"You'll see." I gave her a small smile.

We drove for a while, and the driver let us out at the beach I had found with Daniella's and Vittoria's help.
"Grazie." I handed him some money and took my girlfriend's hand.
"Bambina, what are we doing here?" Stefania's eyes lit up.
"Your sister told me your Mamma used to take you and your siblings here when you were kids." I led her to the rocks that sat above the water.
"It's just like I remembered it. I haven't been here since my Mamma passed." She whispered as she stared out at the water.
I set my phone up, and kneeled down on one knee behind her while she was facing the water.

"Stefania." I breathed out.
"Yes bamb-" She turned and gasped, her hand flew up to her mouth.
"These past few months have been the best months of my life. I love you and our little family so much. You're the best Mamma to our daughter, and she loves you so much." I pulled the ring out of my pocket. "Stefania Spampinato, will you marry me?"

"Are you kidding me!" She exclaimed.
"Is that a yes?" I laughed.
Stefania reached in her pocket and pulled out a ring, kneeling down in front of me. "Only if you say yes too, bambina."
"Oh my God yes!" I cried out.
We stood and pulled each other into a crushing hug.
I pulled back, and slid the ring on her finger.
"Is that my Mamma's ring?" Stefania asked with tears in her eyes.
"Yes. Your sister gave it to me the morning after we got here." I wiped off her tears with one hand as she slid the ring on my finger.
"It's beautiful." I whispered as the ring shone in the sunlight.
"I can't believe we both had the same idea." Stefania laughed.
"I guess that means that we're meant to be forever." I smiled as I wrapped my arms around her shoulder.
"Sì. Because what we have, is fantastico."