Chapter 11: Snowball Derby

December 2015

"Disqualifed!" Ricky Brooks lets out, causing everyone in the tech shed to look over at him in pure shock. "Left side weight may not exceed 58%. I have given you three chances to go over the scales and achieve the right weight, and each time, you have gone over. With a left side weight at 58.3%, you are stripped of the victory, Ms. Ott."

Sarina could only stand there, shaking her head in disgust. How could this be happening, again?

She had done everything that she needed to do. After having to come through the Last Chance Qualifier after the post-qualifying DQ, she started near the back of the pack for the biggest race of the season – the Snowball Derby. She drove her way through the field, taking the lead just over the halfway point. She then dominated the last half of the race, except for the period in which John Hunter Nemechek led before he had a brake issue. She would then cross the finish first ahead of the whole field.

Now she stood in post-race technical inspection, back to being disappointed beyond anything, due to being just 0.3% over weight.

"You can't be serious!" She then lets out as Ricky looks over, shaking his head yes. There was no way that she was about to lose this race because of that much weight. "We were the right weight before the rac-"

"Barely, in which I warned you," Ricky tells her as she walks over to where he stood by the scales. There was a logical explanation for this. It was why every other track gave you an allowance post-race. Why wasn't he logical?

"The mismatched numbers are a result of the fuel load. We should be allowed to re-add fuel to meet proper weight rule or have a fuel allowa-"

"You should consider the fuel allowance when you're figuring out the weight, just like any of your fellow competitors. They're all legal so you can't use that argument." Ricky then looks over at Chase Elliott. "Chase, congratulations. You're the winner of the Snowball Derby."

Chase shakes his head, accepting, as a mix of emotions hit him at the same time.

Starting in the second spot, he had ran a strong race all day keeping himself within the top-five throughout the race despite only leading three laps. He was able to make a pass on Zane Smith in the closing laps to take home the second spot, which had ultimately handed him the victory.

"If you could report to the frontstretch, we will reshoot all the victory lane photos," Ricky Brooks states as Chase solemnly shakes his head once again, climbing in the car to drive it out.

His eyes only caught Sarina once, and he felt a lump form in his throat immediately. As much as he wanted to win the Snowball Derby, this was the worst possible way to do so.

**********************

Climbing out of the car, Chase takes the trophy from his father and carries it into the hauler. He had told the team that he was going to change out of his suit, and then would help them load everything up. When it came to short track weekends, that was usually the name of the game for them together.

As he walks through the trailer and up to the lounge, he looks on surprised as ever when he opens the door and sees a familiar face before him. He sets the trophy down carefully on the ledge, before letting his eyes rest back on her.

"I thought you would've left alrea-" He starts, quietly. This was more awkward that he could've ever imagined. He knew where she was right now mentally, having been there just a year before. Now to have the shoe on the other foot, it felt weird.

"And leave without seeing you and spending more time with you?" Sarina cuts him off as she keeps her eyes on him. "Really, Chase?" It felt good to hear those words from her, as he didn't want their relationship to be affected by the events of the day. It wasn't like he was the one who made the decision in technical inspection.