Chapter 28: Martinsville

April 1, 2017

"Ugh, why today?" Sarina lets out as they pull into the parking lot. "Like, seriously?"

"It's mother nature – she can be a pain in the butt sometimes," Chase comments as he looks out the windows to see the rain continuing to fall. "Maybe it'll stop and we'll get some practice today."

"Okay, Mr. Optimistic." They both climb out of the car, beginning to make the walk to the track and into the infield. "Yay to a day of sitting around and doing nothing."

"What's got your attitude in a bunch? I mean, it's just a bit of rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be clear. I've never heard you this cranky, Chelsy." Sarina then stops right in her tracks, looking over at Chase.

"What did I say about using my real name, Elliott?" He then lets out a sigh as he wraps his an arm around her. He didn't think he had crossed a single line right now.

"You told me that I could use it in private, if I wanted to have some fun. Trust me – I won't tell everybody the truth or anything. I just figured it'd snap you out of your attitude." She then rolls her eyes as she continues walking, snagging the umbrella in the process. She wasn't really in the mood for his shit, either. "Really?"

"I told you what I thought of that, Chase...." He then lets out a sigh as he catches her up to her, standing in front of her. He wasn't about to let them start their day like this.

"Okay, so I was wrong. I'm sorry. I won't use it, again. Just promise you'll lighten up about the weather?" She then looks around, twirling around before placing a smile on her face. Perhaps it wasn't the worst day ever.

"It's liquid sunshine and the flowers will grow because of it so who cares I don't get to practice and know this place in my first trip here, right? Besides, I can go try a hot dog while I wait." Chase smiled as he reaches over, roughing up her hair as she gives him a smack.

"Ouch! Okay, that's it!" He then grabs her, picking her up on his shoulder as he tickles her. She then starts giggling, struggling out of her grasp. He finally puts her down, smiling himself more. "That's better."

"You know you're truly one of a kind, right?" He then snatches the umbrella as he skips away from her in the rain – before turning back to face her.

"That's what they say, and that's why the girls just love me so much." She then rolls her eyes as she hurries to catch up with him. They then make their way into the infield, trading a quick kiss before heading their separate ways.

***************************************

Sarina just shook her head and laughed as she looked through her twitter timeline. It was quite the day if you were following Hooters and Chase.

Knowing she had a break between now and the next truck practice, she made her way down through the stalls to where Chase was standing by the GMS guys. She waited till he was done discussing, before catching his attention.

"Ms. Oh I need to learn the track seems to be doing quite well," he comments with a glance up at the scoreboard. She couldn't help but smile herself in being third on the chart, while he was eighth.

"Kyle is good for advice, as well as Christopher," she replies, recalling their discussions before the weekend. While she wasn't keen on Christopher away from the track right now – virtue of the shop discussion, she had to admit that he was a great teammate with his advice.

"Any driver can take advice, but it takes another to put it into practice. Heck, I've been listening to Jimmie and Jeff and I still struggle with this damn place." She then gives him a smile as she pats his shoulder.