Chapter 13: Speedfest before Speedweeks

January 2016

Since the conversation with Bubba, there had been a myriad of thoughts flooding through Sarina's mind in what he had to share from his perspective.

He was a friend and confident, but yet he had shared the concerns that others would have. The pair had been seen together at the Snowball Derby and hung out at other friends. She now had the deal with Chase Elliott that everybody else wanted. What if everybody assumed it was all over love and nothing on her talent?

She knew that they could continue to hide their relationship, but yet the suspicions were there as Bubba pointed out. Would it be worth it to share the details already?

Letting out a sigh, she had put all focus into helping Ricky Turner prepare the car and get it set for the year ahead.

Since the Derby, they had tore it down to the bare chassis, before going through each part through reassembly to make sure that everything was perfect. If there was even a slight question on a part, a new one was ordered and it was replaced. They had gotten down to having the body back on the car with all the mechanicals, and now Ricky had put focus into driver comfort.

Going into the second day in the shop, she was sitting in the car, making sure the pedals, seat and steering wheel were adjusted just as she wanted. Per Chase's recommendation, she had gotten a carbon fiber seat through Hendrick Motorsports. It was more bulky than anything that she had before, but knew for safety reasons that it was probably warranted. She'd just have to get used to dealing with the bigger headrests and such – but that was worth it.

So far in this day, they had gotten what she wanted done in feeling comfortable with ability to the reach the pedals and switches with ease, while finding some comfort.

"You look comfy in there sweets," Chase offers as he walks into the shop and up to the window of the car. She immediately looks to her left and smiles in return with ease. It was always nice when he'd stop by and say hello, especially unexpected and earlier than warranted.

"I thought you were busy in Charlotte," she replies as he leans in and lightly kisses her lips with a smile of his own. He had told her that he'd be busy for the day due to taking care of business at Hendrick Motorsports in preparing for the new season ahead. However, he had gotten done early unexpectedly and was making good use of it.

"I got a break and figured I'd come to see you." He then takes a step back looking over the car and shaking his head impressed. All they needed for a good looking wrap to make it pop for her and they'd be set to go for the year ahead. To be honest, he was impressed in not expecting that much work to be done already. Though knowing the work ethic of those here, it also seemed fitting. "You've done a lot of work. Well done. Are we close to being ready as it looks?"

"Everything is done underneath so we were just perfecting her compartment," Ricky offers from his perch. He had noticed Chase enter the room but had kept quiet when he saw the glance from his boss, knowing that he wanted to surprise Sarina. "Wrap it up and we're set for the year." Chase couldn't help but feel pride in that detail. Everything was going along schedule in his mind.

"That's great to hear," he says. "I guess that means that we're ready for Speedfest?" Sarina then looks over at the pair with a pure look of shock on her face. They hadn't officially set her debut event in stone, but there was assumption it'd be Speedweeks in February.

"Speedfest?" Sarina asks as she climbs out of the car and walks over to them. "As in racing in Cordele at the end of this month?" Chase shakes his head yes, as she looks over at Ricky. "And you knew of the boss' wise plan but kept your mouth shut?" Ricky shrugs his shoulders, but then gives in with a simple head shake yes. "So when were you going to tell me, boys?" Chase clears his throat to catch her attention as he takes a deep breath.