Chapter 15: Minor Injuries

January 2016

Following the series of tests, the pair were placed in a small white room together, each lying on their own bed. Chase could hear the beeps of the monitors by him, knowing they were monitoring everything with regards to him for precautionary reasons.

"What did they tell you?" Sarina finally breaks the silence as she glances over at Chase, curious. Neither had heard each other's diagnosis, except they were going to be under hospital supervision for 24 hours.

"I've got a concussion which I figured anyway," Chase starts quietly. "That's why they're keeping an extra eye on me right now, in case something else develops as a result. They told me that they never know how long it could take to heal, but for tonight, they're going to come in and wake me up every three to four hours to make sure that I'm okay. Besides that, it's a matter of Tylenol and waiting for it to heal. Oh, and I cracked a couple ribs on my left side." Sarina could only cringe in hearing both details. They weren't too bad, considering the situation, but they also weren't the lightest details either. She knew from a past late model crash that any rib injuries were never fun as there wasn't much you could do for super comfort.

"How long till they're healed?" Chase hated saying the words out loud, considering that it was going to overlap with the start of Speedweeks. There was all this excitement in the air in his first full season in the Sprint Cup Series, first Daytona 500, and setting this deal up with Sabrina....and now there was this. How did that bubble get busted so quickly?

"Four to six weeks, depen-"

"What about Speedweeks?" He could only smile at Sabrina's question, as that was the same thing that he said to the doctor. The doctor tried to brush it off, but that didn't get far either. Besides, he should know better speaking to a racecar driver.

"Depending on my pain tolerance and how they're healing will depend on what happens. Either way, I'm running the 500 – as long I get over this concussion, obviously. They told me to practice some basic breathing exercises. Oh, and I can show you every tone of black, blue and purple if you want on my side." She couldn't help but chuckle at that as she rolled up the edge of her shirt. She didn't want to be matching, but figured misery deserved company.

"I can relate. I got bruises on my shoulders, back, legs, everywhere. Bracing for the impact, I cracked my wrist so that'll take six to eight weeks. By the way, I can drive with a cast so they can kiss my ass." Chase had to laugh as they were both thinking along the same lines – doing whatever it took to get back in the car. She was certainly the perfect better half for him.

"Regardless, I'm canceling Cordele this weekend. You can make your debut at New Smyrna, but only if you're healthy enough. No pushing the envelope, okay?" She shakes her head yes in agreement, having already decided upon that herself. Anyways, her most important focus right now was Chase and making sure he recovered fully. "Oh, and my parents will be here soon. They called my dad, and he was flying out." Sarina immediately shivered upon hearing the flying word. While she wanted to focus on getting better, she couldn't shake what they'd just experienced.

"Chase, do you know what happened?" Chase lets out a sigh, wishing he could give her comfort as he shakes his head no. It didn't matter how much he thought about it, there was nothing else entering his mind.

"I remember the bang and that's it." He then takes a deep breath, not sure if he wanted to know the rest of the story. They said that sometimes the least you know, the better if you want to return to doing something one day. Even with this, he could still see himself flying one day again. "What happened afterwards?"

"You were going through your checklists, and I was checking the map to see where we could make an emergency landing. I was just about to tell you a spot when it suddenly got quiet and we went straight down, no warning." Chase knew the answer to the question immediately. There was only one reason that would occur.