Chapter 14: The Plane Crash

January 2016

Pain. It was the only thing that she could feel as she sat there still belted in the seat. Taking a deep breath, she counted her blessings that she was alive, and swore that she'd avoid planes for the rest of her life – even if her boyfriend was a pilot.

She let her eyes drift over to the left, to the pilot and one person that she truly loved. She hadn't heard a sound out of him yet, and could only wonder if he was alright. She had felt the force of crash, and knew that he had taken the blunt of the blow.

Seeing his chest moving up and down brought her a sigh of relief. At least he was breathing, and there wasn't any blood anywhere that she could see. Hopefully that was a good sign. Hopefully they'd be both be okay without any serious complications.

Glancing around the cockpit, she debated what to do next. She didn't know much about planes, and didn't know how to handle events that happened of this nature. She saw the control board and the radio, but couldn't even begin to remember how it all worked together. Why hadn't she paid closer attention when they were leaving? Of course being the co-pilot she should know some basics, right?

Planes weren't something that was her cup of tea and that showed as they had gotten ready to leave earlier in the day.....

"So, are you ready for your Chase Elliott Motorsports debut this weekend?" Chase asks as they load their bags on to the plane.

He had just finished a busy day in North Carolina at Hendrick Motorsports, to which she had tagged along once again in having not much else going on. With the tasks done, it was time to fly back back to Georgia for some last minute preparations for her debut on Friday, followed by a weekend of racing.

"I can't believe that you managed to keep it a secret," she answers as he smiles.

If anybody was to read the entry list for Speedfest, they'd notice the familiar No. 9 entry was missing. Chase had filed the entry late, which was no problem with the series but allowed it to miss the press deadline. He wanted it to be a surprise as many were shocked to see him not running Speedfest. For the most part, though, people had chalked it up to being busy with his upcoming Cup Series season.

"I have my ways with people," he offers. "I can't wait to see the look on everybody's faces when we roll in and they see that you're driving." Sarina had to admit that she was nervous about that, given the warnings from others about possible issues surrounding people's thoughts on their relationship. However, she had a plan – win the race and quiet the critics in one quick motion.

"It's going to be interesting." She then glances back at the bags, mentally going through her checklist in things that she needed to make sure that she had. She didn't want to forget something in his office that she may need.

"By the way, I'll have to get you a firesuit before New Smyrna so you look snazzy." She then gives him a simple smirk, knowing that this could be played well to her advantage.

"I thought you enjoyed my pink and black suit as it brings out my curves." He then pulls her close, kissing her lips. It was certainly that suit which had caught his attention, but he also knew that there was a certain image he had to keep now. However, seeing the direction she went, he was going to follow.

"I do, but I wouldn't want others to get jealous or have their eyes on you." He then kisses her lips once again as she smiles. Of course that'd be her navigation.

Chase then goes over his own pre-flight checklist, going over everything notable for safety concerns and beyond. With the craziness of his schedule and wanting to have ease in being able to travel when he wanted, he had worked at getting his pilot's license to be able to fly himself, just like his father had done and suggested.