Chapter 72: "I Can't Hold Back Anymore...."

Sunday, October 8 – Charlotte Motor Speedway

The seconds felt like minutes, and the minutes felt like hours. The anticipation and flip-flopping feeling in his stomach continued to build.

Couldn't it be race time already?

Taking a deep breath, he glances at his phone, seeing if Sarina had sent him any updates from Winchester yet. Qualifying should've been in the books already and he was hoping to see at least where she'd start before his day got busy with driver introductions, and his race. Though, just like the last time he looked 10 minutes ago, there was no updates.

He puts his phone back in his pocket, letting out a sigh. What else was a guy to do while he waited for race time?

"You look un-amused..." He hears, catching his attention, and he could only roll his eyes. It's like his parents had a special intuition at times.

"Just getting impatient," he comments as he leans back against the tool box. Normally, he'd be calm and collected before a race, just waiting patiently for the day to begin or busy with pre-race sponsor obligations. Though now having an hour to himself and thinking of the goal at hand – solid day, no mistakes, keep yourself in playoff contention, and there was no way to be calm, cool, and collected.

"You don't have someone here to keep your mind off everything and have some fun with..." He smiles, knowing his mom was probably right in her words. Sarina and him would normally crack jokes together, sometimes finding Ryan to crack some with him, which obviously passed time quicker than waiting around. "Your dad mentioned that you were pre-occupied with some thoughts yesterday...."

"Of course he would tell you..." He would've rather kept that conversation just between he and his father, but he understood Bill's reasons for speaking to Cindy. Concern was paramount given the situation. "Look, I'm fine. The advice that he offered, combined with figuring some things out myself, I'm good."

"I still say that you and Sarina should make sure to get that restraining order against Allison..." Chase wished he never heard that name again.

"We're looking into it, okay? If she meant what she said, she'll return to whatever life she had before. If she didn't, I can promise you it won't be much to get her charged with stalking."

"Just promise me you'll be careful, okay?" He looks straight in his mom's eyes, grabbing her hand firmly. He was used to her nerves. He knew how to deal with those already.

"I'm always careful, Momma. I'll be fine." She nods her head, accepting, but her mind swirled in 20 other different directions. There was no need to chance fate again.

**********

Sunday, October 8

Chase lies in the bed, barely focused on whatever show he had chosen to pull off Netflix that evening to watch. He could've cared less, to be honest. His mind was focused on other thoughts.

He had a decent day, followed what he needed to do, and ended up with a solid second-place finish. It was nice to be able to improve throughout the day, with their best run at the end. It didn't hurt to have that confidence boost entering the other mile and a half tracks to come in the playoffs.

Though his day didn't matter in reflecting on the big picture once he got to watch the highlights from the Winchester 400. Starting up front, Sarina stayed up there, pulling off an impressive slide job on Bubba Pollard on a restart, and leading the rest of the way en route to the win. He had called to congratulate her, with her assuring him that she'd be home as soon as possible.

Being middle of the night, he should be sleeping – but his mind was solely focused on waiting for her to get home. He couldn't wait to see her.

As the clock barely turned over to 12:05, he heard the front door click open downstairs, immediately shutting the television off as he walked out to the top of the stairs. He glanced down, an instant smile forming on his face as he saw her come through the door.