Chapter 10: Snowball Derby Preparation

Summer 2015

The fun aspect of the party was completely lost on Thursday, being replaced by total focus. With six hours of practice on the Pensacola, Florida track, everybody was focused on making their cars as good as possible.

Despite other teams running into problems that resulted in heavy contact with the wall, and some teams complaining of lack of speed, that wasn't something that Sarina or Chase were experiencing. In each of the six sessions throughout the day, the pair were in the top-five on the speed charts, each taking a turn topping one or two of the charts.

There was no doubt – they'd both be at the front of the pack on Sunday.

"I didn't think it was as good as I would like it to be at least," Elliott told the reporters that had gathered around after the session. "We made a couple small gains I believe, but I think we are still missing something. Everybody is always looking to be better and we are too. We're going to keep digging and still have another two days of practice. I don't care so much about the ego sheet as long as we can get our car the way it needs to be on Sunday afternoon by lap 300. That's the thing that matters most."

He then answers a couple more questions before retreating back into the hauler, standing across from crew chief Ricky Turner, who glances over their notes from the practices throughout the day.

"Well?" He questions, catching the crew chief's attention as he glances up from his notes. He would have preferred to left alone to fully go over everything, but also understood the curiosity from his driver.

"I think we're better off than you think we are as the cold temperatures have thrown everybody a big wrench thus far this weekend," Ricky comments. "I don't think it's the same as any other Derby weekend, personally." Chase shakes his head in agreement, having noticed that in watching others throughout the practices in-between his own runs. That didn't mean that he was totally satisfied with how things had gone yet, though.

"You do realize who we're chasing at the top of the charts? Did you see how quick Sarina is?" A small smile forms on Ricky's face following the comment from Chase. He had been getting used to the comments from his regularly about Sarina, and was beginning to connect a lot of dots together.

"Of course you'd have your eyes on that girl." Chase rolls his eyes as Ricky holds his hand out. "Listen, you make a good point as she looks pretty solid, along with Spencer Davis, Daniel Hemric and a couple others. No doubt she comes in as a strong favourite based on some of her wins this year. I'm just saying that I don't think we're as far off as you're predicting, Chase." Chase crosses his arms, leaning back against the cabinet as he thinks it over. Perhaps his search for perfection was getting in the way of a logical judgment on the situation.

"I suppose. I just don't want to play with it enough and find ourselves not quick enough." Ricky rolls his eyes as he glances back down at the notes. He wished there was some magic thing on this page that would cool the concerns of his driver.

"You worry too much, Elliott." He then sets the notes aside, crossing his arms as he stares at the young man before him. The text from the previous night was now on his mind, as that'd be a good way to get him off of this topic. "So, what was your text about – or can I take a stab at that, please? I'm guessing that it had to do with one Sari-"

"How did you know?" Ricky laughs as he keeps his eyes focused on Chase. It was fun to get him all flustered, but so easy to do considering her name had been coming out of his mouth every other sentence.

"It seems when you're not talking about racing lately, you're talking about her. It seems that you guys are spending a lot of time together lately. Want to tell me something, young man?" Chase glances around the room, debating whether he should tell Ricky the truth or not. He knew that right now, he and Sarina had agreed to keep things quiet, but he knew that it could be in his advantage for Ricky to know. There was also a worry, though, that it'd negatively affect the rest of their conversation. What if he took it the wrong way?