Chapter 78: First Data 500

Sunday, October 30

The joy of victory didn't fade on Sarina the next day, either, as the smile remained on her face throughout the entire morning as she spent time at the Toyota Racing display answering questions, and signing autographs.

It didn't fade when she made her way out to pit road before the Cup race, accepting an array of congratulations from various drivers and crew members along the way. She politely accepted each of them, still in disbelief at times.

As she stood there holding Chase's hand during the national anthem, her focus immediately shifted away from her own joy to the task at hand that day for him. The goal was to have a solid day, no mistakes, and continue to lock down the top-fives to work towards punching their ticket to Homestead. She knew the day came with pressure and unease, as Chase was the first to say Martinsville wasn't his best track. While he had finished well there in the spring, he still hadn't grown comfortable in finding the line he wanted to run there. She almost chuckled to herself on the thought as he had qualified third earlier that morning. Now it was just about turning that starting spot into a great day.

"Good luck," she tells him, kissing his lips. "Be safe. I love you."

She then walks away as he climbs in the car, making her way over to the 24 pit box. She climbs the familiar steps, taking her usual spot behind Alan Gustafson, flashing a quick smile to Josh and Jordan.

While Chase would insist Martinsville wasn't his best track, that didn't show at all through the first half of the race as he kept himself in the top-five, battling for positions, looking as comfortable as the others around him. It especially didn't show as he challenged for the lead, taking the top spot for the first time that day from Brad Keselowski on Lap 385.

"Watch the cross over," she hears Eddie D'Hondt over the radio, but Brad's attempt to get back by was to no avail. Perhaps magic was certainly in the air here. "Nice work, nice and smooth."

Glancing down, she couldn't even fathom the amazement and joy that would be if everything played out accordingly today. Wouldn't it be ironic if they both got their first wins the same weekend? Taking a deep breath, she had to get the thought of her mind. There was still a long way to go as plenty could happen in 115 laps.

"You're doing a great job out there," Eddie's words fill her ears once again, and he spoke the truth as Chase began to build a gap between him and Brad. "Just keeping show a little more discipline. That diamond looks good there...."

She kept her eyes locked on the track, trying to ignore thoughts of what could happen knowing that'd just cause nerves and knowing how crazy things could go. However, her heart couldn't help but wonder as the gap continued to grow more and more.

Then it happened......

Caught right in the midst of lap traffic with 63 laps to go, Chase tried to make a move to get by one of the many cars that he was working his way through. However, a little contact, and you could see a bit of smoke off of the fender immediately.

"Got a left rear tire rub here," Eddie reports back to the crew as Sarina feels her heart sink immediately. If the tire blew out or they had to pit under green, that'd certainly end all hopes....

"Try to adjust your track bar up and down to see if it'll clear up a bit," Alan suggests and Sarina crosses her fingers, hoping Chase could do something to survive here. It'd suck to see all of his hard work come crashing down simply due to a pesky tire rub.

The smoke would soon fade – causing a mix of concerns. That could be good as the rub may have gone away, but that could be bad as next thing they may end up with a punctured tire and a big mess. She was then caught off-guard another way when the caution flew with 43 laps to go for Carl Long spinning. She hated to see the field bunched up, but she knew the caution was the perfect opportunity. Now they could fix the fender...