33- Light Reading

Espresso gets up, grabbing his glasses off the nightstand and putting them on because he would like to see.

He opens one of the boxes, quickly finding the book, then hands it to Madeleine.

Madeleine looks at the cover.

He opens the old book. The first page is a note.

I pray that whoever found this book has not had their views distorted by the rest of the family yet. With the help of the Divine, I have gathered the knowledge of those who twist and distort Light Magic.

Make sure the others do not find this, for they will burn it. They do not want their distorted views to be challenged.

They do not acknowledge the bad things Light Magic can do. All types of magic can do good and bad things, including Light.

Madeleine rereads it again.

"They do not want their distorted views to be challenged.."

He looks up at Espresso. "I know why my parents hate you."

"What?"

Madeleine shows him the note. "You were keeping me away from their twisted version of the Divine's will."

Espresso reads the note, then looks at Madeleine. "How did I keep you safe?"

"My family is convinced that every magic, other than Light, is lesser and only capable of bad things. You showing me Coffee magic kept me from thinking that."

"Then why did you suddenly change after you went home?"

"My parents must have done something."

Madeleine leans on Espresso again, quietly saying "Maybe we can figure it out by reading?"

"Most likely."

"Can I sit in your lap?"

"Yes."

Espresso moves so it'll be more comfortable for Madeleine.

Once Madeleine's sitting on his lap, Espresso grabs the blanket and wraps it around them.

He gently holds the book so it isn't covered, then rests his chin on Madeleine's head.

The longer they read, the more upset Madeleine gets. They reach a page talking about blocking memories.

Madeleine grabs Espresso's wrist. Espresso lets go of the book. "Maddie?"

Madeleine gets up, shaking.

Espresso puts the bookmark in the book, then closes it.

Madeleine pulls his hair in front of his face, trying to hide. Espresso is quiet "Madeleine?"

Madeleine turns to look at him, crying. "How much.. How much have they made me forget? How much of my life is missing?? There could be events that I can't remember at all!"