59- Nightmares

*+*A few days before the wedding*+*

Madeleine sneaks out to the woods. Pastry told him to meet her somewhere around here.

When he reaches the meeting place, he sees that she isn't alone.

Vanilla Cupcake and Red Velvet are here too, and they have a few old books.

Vanilla says, "So, we found these and they described how rebaking works in a few ways. We're pretty sure Espresso was rebaked by getting dropped in the Ultimate Dough."

Madeleine nods, "Is there a way to get Espresso back?"

"The dough acts as like.. A second layer, almost? So Espresso is still under there like I theorized. But eventually Espresso will fade away and the faker will take his place."

Madeleine asks, "So, can we get Espresso back by breaking Not Espresso?"

Vanilla nods, "I tried to before leaving. I only cracked his arm, but he looked terrified."

Madeleine inhales sharply, "We- We can't do anything before the wedding. For the real Espresso's safety."

Red Velvet crosses his arms, "Why not?"

"So.. The Divine will give me glimpses of the future in my dreams. There was one about my wedding. My mother would've found out somehow and showed up regardless of if I invited her or not. In the vision, she puppeted me to attack Espresso with my sword."

Pastry's eyes widen, "So you're using the fake as a shield for the real Espresso?"

Madeleine nods, "I can't alter the future, since I normally can't remember until it happens, so why not manipulate it?"

Vanilla looks at the kingdom, "I won't be welcomed back until after the faker is revealed to be a faker. When is the wedding?"

"The 31st."

Vanilla looks at Pastry and Red Velvet, "Do you guys think there's a way I could sneak in and get to our house?"

They both shrug. Madeleine gets an idea, "There's lots of boxes being moved around because of the wedding. You can hide in a box, which one of us three could bring to the house."

"What about when I have to get out of the box? Wouldn't it be weird if they took a big box inside?"

Madeleine taps his foot, then says, "I can take the night patrol tonight. I don't enjoy sharing a bed with the fake Espresso anyways, so it's a win-win situation."

The others nod. Vanilla asks, "Should I wait for you to pass by first?"

Madeleine nods, "Not many cookies will be out by the time I reach the nearest part of the kingdom."

Pastry checks her watch, "Thankfully it'll be night soon. You'd better hurry back, Madeleine."

Madeleine nods, turning and running into the kingdom.

He walks into his home, finding EP eating some leftovers in the kitchen.

"Oh, Espresso, I'm going to be taking the night patrol."