37- Hiding in Plain Sight

The cookies in the crowd gasp. She continues. "We barely managed to catch a glimpse of the kidnapper. I regret to inform you of this but.."

She pauses for a bit of a dramatic effect.

"It was Espresso cookie. He has betrayed the Republic. He kidnapped my son on his birthday week!"

Cookies around Espresso start whispering.

Canelé sheds a tear. "If you see Espresso, work together to keep him contained while some of our guards come to take him. If you see Madeleine, bring him home to us."

She delicately wipes away another tear. "You will be rewarded. Each of them have their own rewards. Thank you for listening."

The screen fades away.

Everyone starts talking, walking again.

The cookies close to Espresso look up at him. He is hiding his fear well. He finally sees a food place, so he carefully weaves between cookies.

He reaches the place, which has a window open to the street. There's a bit of a line.

"I probably won't find another place in the time it would take waiting."

He stands in line.

He can hear cookies talking.

Someone taps Espresso's arm. "Hey, how much do you think the rewards are gonna be?"

Espresso shrugs. "It should be a lot. They are very rich."

"Well, I'm hoping it's at least ten thousand. Hey, you look a bit like Espresso cookie."

Espresso looks at them. "I get that a lot."

"What if you pretended to be him? Then you could get the money."

"I don't need that much money, and I really don't want to be trapped."

Espresso moves forward with the line. The other cookie stays next to him. "C'mon, it'll be fine!"

"It's way too dangerous."

"High risk, high reward."

"I'm not going to do it."

They grab his arm. "If you don't want to, I will turn you in as Espresso instead!"

Espresso pushes them away. "Leave me alone!"

Cookies turn to stare at the two.

The cookie that Espresso pushed away glares at him. "What was that for?!"

"You grabbed my arm!"

"You weren't listening to me!"

"Why should I?! I don't know you!"

They try to grab Espresso again, but he moves out of the way. Cookies start yelling "Leave them alone, they're just in line for food!"