61- For Health Reasons, Espresso Needs to Cry

TW: Self harm (scratching) briefly at the start

also no drawings again this chapter, but I may or may not have a drawing of Canelé in a summer outfit ready for the next chapter

Anyways, Espresso is a sad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*+*That night*+*

Madeleine is fast asleep. Espresso is not.

He's sitting up, digging his nails into his arm.

There's a bunch of scratch marks on both of his arms and lower legs. His right arm has the most though.

Madeleine shifts in his sleep. Espresso gasps, pulling his sleeve down and looking at Madeleine.

Madeleine groans, rolling over. He doesn't wake up though.

Espresso sighs, shifting his gaze to his hand. He closes his fist, ignoring the pain in his arm.

He lays down, pulling the blanket up to his shoulder.

He pulls Madeleine closer, hugging him from behind. Madeleine smiles in his sleep.

Espresso tightens his grip slightly, "Finally I'm not trapped in a solid block.. I'm in a comfortable bed. I'm with Madeleine again. After what feels like years..."

Espresso sniffles, "I'm safe now. I'm safe. I'm.. I'm..."

Espresso starts silently crying. His breathing is uneven.

Madeleine rubs his eyes as he wakes up. He registers Espresso's arms around him, "Espresso..?"

Espresso holds his breath, but he can't hold it for long, "Sor- Sorry.."

Madeleine rolls over to face Espresso, making eye contact, "Sorry for what?"

"I- I.. I..."

Madeleine hugs him, "Don't worry. It's ok to cry, Espresso."

"I just.. I was.. gone for so long..."

"It was only about a month."

"For you. Plus, I- I was not able to- to sleep at all. It felt like years..."

Madeleine gently combs his fingers through Espresso's hair. "Oh.. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Can- Can you sing..?"

"Your favorite song?"

Espresso nods, "Mmhm..."

Madeleine starts singing. Espresso snuggles closer to him, continuing to cry.

Eventually, Espresso falls asleep.

And has a nightmare.

Poor Espresso, he really can't catch a break, can he?

Espresso is standing in the same place he was trapped for the past month. He gasps and looks around, stumbling backwards.